Not how they do it in PHILADELPHIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
    I accepted a position in Brussels with IceCube, but the visa process is much more involved than Swedens. It is doing the same sort of thing as I was before, but also short term.

I am currently unemployed (which sucks) while I wait to get my visa for Belgium (next month).

Feeling a bit unmotivated despite almost being finished with the first?? experimental search for secluded dark matter.

JM
    Hah cool, it's where I live! Some googling led me to the IIHE at VUB or ULB. Which university is it? As it happens I'll be quitting my work at the VUB at the end of this month, but I'll continue turning up there often enough

Welkom, soyez le bienvenu, welcome and wilkommen!
    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

OK. Brussels...

"Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
        Also, I was promoted yesterday, *****es. Y'all can call me Dr. Vice President from now on...
        What percentage of investment bank employees have the title of Vice President?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Are we including Junior Assistant Deputy Vice Presidents or are we only going as low as Deputy?
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Also I think in light of his new promotion, KH should change his username to Joe Biden. Or maybe Dick Biden, or Joe Cheney.

Comment

I know there are a few vice presidents, but still it sounds like middle management or better, surely a lot closer to the money?

I will be at VUB.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

It seems like half the people I worked with were VPs. It was very confusing.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

It's the Lake Woebegon of corporate ranks.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                    It seems like half the people I worked with were VPs. It was very confusing.
                    It is a large number. Not half, but not a tiny fraction either...
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I always assumed the "Vice" referred to the personal failings of the people. From what little I knew about some of their personal lives, they were all gluttonous pigs in some way or another.

That said, congrats.

Comment

It's public recognition for a job well done rather than any change of responsibilities. The main immediate, concrete benefit is an extra week of vacation every year.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

What's the rationale for calling relatively low-level employees "vice-presidents"? I suspect it's a perk that gives up-and-comers an easier time with New York gold-diggers, but I could be wrong.

edit: Wharton explains it...

Inflation, everyone agrees, hasn't occurred just at the C-level. Stevenson remembers that in her old firm, "they changed a lot of people's titles from 'senior analyst' to 'vice president.' Senior analyst actually means something, but in the investment banking world, it is a pretty low rung. So people got new titles even though nobody's job changed." Or, as Cappelli says, in the investment banking and brokerage industries, just about everyone is a vice president, including "the guys opening the door and serving you coffee."

Wharton marketing professor Len Lodish agrees. Vice presidents in the financial services industry "are typically sales positions. That's no big deal. And now even the title of president has been hit with inflation. The number of presidents within organizations has risen significantly in the last 15 years, especially as the pressure increases on companies to stay competitive when it comes to hiring and retaining employees." Yet it's still "just inflating titles. The companies aren't organized any differently; they are just giving people different titles. Being president doesn't mean what it once did."

We're all familiar with titles like chief executive officer, chief financial officer and chief operating officer. We have even grown used to chief technology officer, chief marketing officer and chief diversity officer. But what about chief talent officer, chief cultural officer, chief innovation officer, chief privacy officer, chief apology officer and chief geek, to name just some of the more contemporary titles in today's companies? On the surface, this looks like title inflation -- an overabundance of C-level jobs that cheapen the prestige that used to go along with promotions. Yet according to several Wharton faculty members, there is more to this story than inflated egos. …Read More
                          Last edited by Tupac Shakur; December 18, 2011, 02:55.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                            It's public recognition for a job well done rather than any change of responsibilities. The main immediate, concrete benefit is an extra week of vacation every year.
                            More time to scuba.
                            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                              What's the rationale for calling relatively low-level employees "vice-presidents"? I suspect it's a perk that gives up-and-comers an easier time with New York gold-diggers, but I could be wrong.

Inflation, everyone agrees, hasn't occurred just at the C-level. Stevenson remembers that in her old firm, "they changed a lot of people's titles from 'senior analyst' to 'vice president.' Senior analyst actually means something, but in the investment banking world, it is a pretty low rung. So people got new titles even though nobody's job changed." Or, as Cappelli says, in the investment banking and brokerage industries, just about everyone is a vice president, including "the guys opening the door and serving you coffee."

Wharton marketing professor Len Lodish agrees. Vice presidents in the financial services industry "are typically sales positions. That's no big deal. And now even the title of president has been hit with inflation. The number of presidents within organizations has risen significantly in the last 15 years, especially as the pressure increases on companies to stay competitive when it comes to hiring and retaining employees." Yet it's still "just inflating titles. The companies aren't organized any differently; they are just giving people different titles. Being president doesn't mean what it once did."

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/c...articleid=1748
                              The first paragraph makes sense. The second (Lodish quotes) indicate that the speaker has never worked in financial services.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post

http://knowledge.wharton.upenn.edu/c...articleid=1748
                                The first paragraph makes sense. The second (Lodish quotes) indicate that the speaker has never worked in financial services.
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X