Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christopher Hitchens dies after battle with cancer

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #17

    Thanks for that. I think I'd like to read his biography.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

    Comment


    • #18
      You're welcome. I got it off a Catholic blog Imran pointed me to, I think, so thank him too.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

      Comment


      • #20
        An intellectual giant and a very brave man. He will be sorely missed.

        Comment


        • #21
          Originally posted by Elok View Post
          Let's not go bashing the dude before his corpse is cold.
          Why should you say anything different about a person who's dead than you would when they were alive? Isn't that the time when you're free to be the most truthful?
          I make no bones about my moral support for [terrorist] organizations. - chegitz guevara
          For those who aspire to live in a high cost, high tax, big government place, our nation and the world offers plenty of options. Vermont, Canada and Venezuela all offer you the opportunity to live in the socialist, big government paradise you long for. –Senator Rubio

          Comment


          • #22
            All class and clever as usual, DD.

            Chris.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

            Comment


            • #23
              Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
              He used to take advantage of people's ignorance and make nonarguments.
              Well for one thing, Kidicious, he never argued that this maxim was biblical. In fact, he expressly pointed out that it was attributed to Nietzche.

              If you really think this is so, make your case.
              "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

              Comment


              • #24
                Originally posted by DinoDoc View Post
                Why should you say anything different about a person who's dead than you would when they were alive? Isn't that the time when you're free to be the most truthful?
                Yeah. It's not like he was Mother Teressa. He was an intellectual, and deserves a good thrashing for it.
                I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

                Comment


                • #25
                  Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                  Yeah. It's not like he was Mother Teressa. He was an intellectual, and deserves a good thrashing for it.
                  You mean, divinely blessed Mother Teresa, who couldn't spot a murdering Third World dictator to save her life ? And if he were an intellectual, well so what ?

                  Better to try to be intelligent and make some sense out of life, than living in a pit of ignorance, scared of the non-existent, like some frightened child afraid of shadows in the semi-dark.

                  Three resounding cheers for the work of Christopher Hitchens.
                  Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

                  ...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

                  Comment


                  • #26
                    I just want to say that I respected Christopher Hitchens very much, and will miss his wit and insights. That's all.
                    urgh.NSFW

                    Comment


                    • #27
                      If he was an iconoclast, how come everybody loves him?
                      I need a foot massage

                      Comment


                      • #28
                        It seems he was a very friendly iconoclast. I've read some of his stuff on Slate since he passed on, and mostly it reads like generic hatchet-jobs, but apparently he was a genial guy who liked to party. Also, as somebody pointed out in the comments to a blog I read, he had such a mixture of opinions that he was guaranteed to agree with half your beliefs even as he offended the other half horribly. But mostly I think it's just that he was considered too entertaining to hate.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

                        Comment


                        • #29
                          Mother Teresa is having the last laugh right now.

                          Comment


                          • #30
                            I watched his debate with Tony Blair and he did very well. Of course Blair sucked.
                            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X