Please Explain Newt Gingrich's Appeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
    They like him because he's not Romney. Of course, if he wins the nomination, this will screw Obama's "Not Romney" campaign.
    Yes, but this would be much better for Obama. I can't imagine Independents have a pleasant view of Newt, and he could rally hardcore Dems the way Hillary would rally hardcore Republicans.
    Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; December 13, 2011, 21:06.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The survey I saw today had Newt at just over 50% on the hate meter. That was overall, I can just imagine how high it was for indies.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Drudge megaheadline since last night:

IOWA: GINGRICH 22% PAUL 21% ROMNEY 16%

Comment

Felch , and I'd love to see Ron Paul vs Obama... just for the commentary that would ensue. He has the best shot of beating Obama in any case.
          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
            My wife and I disagree on almost everything politically. She's a hard libertarian (no need for comment on this), I'm a moderate, there's not much overlap between those two positions. One thing we can agree on, however, is that Newt Gingrich is easily the most repulsive of the Republican candidates.

Basically, he combines the worst aspects of W and Cheney, with a little of Bill Clinton's flaws thrown in for good measure. Psychotic neocon worldview? Check. Alarmist fear-mongering? Oh yeah. Full of grandiose ideas with no practical plan for achieving them? Of course. Hypocritical? Completely. Crooked? Like a snake's back. Ruthless? Vicious? Immoral? Check, check, check.

AFAICT his present front-runner status is due largely to all the other non-Mormon, non-Paul candidates wearing out their welcome. He doesn't hopelessly flub every public speaking opportunity and he can make himself look intellectual when he isn't talking about putting giant mirrors in space, and that's about the best you can say for him. Is there anything else you can sell him with?
            He's not Obama. If it's been said, I concur.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

That's the biggest selling point of all the republican candidates.
              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
                He's named after a lizard. What more do you need to know?!
                See this has been bugging me for days. A newt is an amphibian, not a reptile
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                  See this has been bugging me for days. A newt is an amphibian, not a reptile
                  A technicality.

"Adult newts have lizard-like bodies..."

"The etymology for this term has gone through a complex twist of old Middle English variations. The oldest form of the name is eft, which is still used for newly metamorphosed specimens, but according to the Oxford English Dictionary it changed for unknown reasons first to euft and then to ewt. For some time it remained as an ewt, but the "n" from the indefinite article an shifted to form a newt. The sexually mature stage was also called an ewte, with similar etymology roots linking an ewte, newt, "euft", and eft: "small lizard-like animal,"

He's a lizard. Don't be fooled.
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Gingrich on Clinton: "He turned me into a Newt!"

Gingrich on the passing of time and the new election cycle:

"I got better...."
                    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Working...
                    X