Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How famous are Cristiano Ronaldo and Messi in the USA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My vote for the Academy Award for Best Film of the Year? Disney’s “Cars”, the humorously sweet animated film about a race car’s journey of self discovery. OK, it’s not…

Should teachers force kids to say Pledge of Allegiance?

One of my seventh-grader's teachers monitors every face in his class to make sure each is enunciating the Pledge of Allegiance every morning.

Those with insufficient enthusiasm get yelled at as he details the sacrifices of America's veterans for the children's freedom. It's the same speech every day, according to my daughter, and does not make them more patriotic.

I knew there were lots of lawsuits over students being forced to say the pledge, so I decided to check what the latest developments were. In 2005, a Boynton Beach High School student refused to say the pledge and got kicked out of class. He sued the school district and the state. A judge ruled the 1942 Florida law requiring students to recite the pledge was unconstitutional, but an appeals court disagreed, and the U.S. Supreme Court declined to hear the case. The law allows an opt-out with parental permission. The student negotiated a settlement with Palm Beach County schools that no student is required to say the pledge, but this seems to conflict with the state law.

More recently, the state Department of Education has wrestled with whether kids who have permission not to say it should sit down or stand up while others recite it.
    It's very common. And it seems they CAN enforce it.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Well, it must have been ruled by some Virginia court that you can't force kids to say it, because that was the rule in Fairfax County Public Schools. Or maybe that was just the FCPS rule. Either way, meh.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• It's "minor" things like that which make me chuckle every time some American hear drones on and on about freedom. The four years I spent in the US were the four years I felt the heaviest hand of the government in my life. It even went to creepy levels -- I fundamentally find the Pledge creepy as well.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Oh no, I have to say the pledge. It's less of a burden than jury duty. And in most places, you actually don't. I guess Florida's retarded like that. At least we don't ban speech because it's "hateful".

But of course, we live in a fascist country because a Canadian finds it creepy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
            It's "minor" things like that which make me chuckle every time some American hear drones on and on about freedom. The four years I spent in the US were the four years I felt the heaviest hand of the government in my life. It even went to creepy levels -- I fundamentally find the Pledge creepy as well.

The only flag I pledge allegiance to is the Maryland flag. That Union rag can burn in hell along with Lincoln and his Yankee hordes.
            John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

• Figures you would, since the Maryland flag looks like blotter paper.

Comment

• Dude, that's something to add to my bucket list.

"Eat sheet of acid divided into four quarters. The first and fourth quarters will be paly of 6 pieces, or and sable, a bend dexter counterchanged. The second and third quarters will be argent and gules, a cross bottony countersigned."

You the man, HC.
                Last edited by Felch; November 20, 2011, 01:29. Reason: Brevity

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                  Oh no, I have to say the pledge. It's less of a burden than jury duty. And in most places, you actually don't. I guess Florida's retarded like that. At least we don't ban speech because it's "hateful".

But of course, we live in a fascist country because a Canadian finds it creepy.
                  I'm not the only person who find the Pledge creepy. Many Americans do. Really, any sensible person does.

And yeah, that's right. Canada bans speech that incites animosity and hatred towards segments of society because of who they are. The US permits that. But the US can force you to recite the Pledge of Allegiance every morning in class, and you can't say the word "****" on prime time TV.

Which country is sensible here? I swear, sometimes the lot of you are so conditioned and brainwashed by your country that you are completely incapable of seeing rationality here.

(And don't get me started on the other false freedoms in the US -- the heavy social governance laws ( ), the complete dysfunction of your representatives due to corporate interests ( ), the ****ed up medical system that can easily make one a slave to a debt they can never repay ( ), and the tyranny of TV shows such as Jersey Shore ( ).

Comment

• Originally posted by Felch View Post
                    Dude, that's something to add to my bucket list.

"Eat sheet of acid divided into four quarters. The first and fourth quarters will be paly of 6 pieces, or and sable, a bend dexter counterchanged. The second and third quarters will be argent and gules, a cross bottony countersigned."

You the man, HC.

I try

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                      First and foremost I gotta thank my lord and savior Jesus Christ.
                      This exact sentiment had been expressed by hundreds of American athletes before Tebow came around. What a stupid reason to hate...

Comment

• Asher, just because Tebow does an ad in support of this organization does not mean he agrees with every point of the organization. Why do you assume 100% compliance with this group? The ad was specifically about abortion although it didn't really say anything direct. Find me where Tebow makes statements in support of the other positions you ascribe to him.
                        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                          Asher, just because Tebow does an ad in support of this organization does not mean he agrees with every point of the organization. Why do you assume 100% compliance with this group? The ad was specifically about abortion although it didn't really say anything direct. Find me where Tebow makes statements in support of the other positions you ascribe to him.
                          If he doesn't support the group's very well known agenda, he shouldn't be starring in ads for them.

He's been asked directly about his support for gay rights but each time his publicist jumps up and says he won't be answering that question. Read into that what you will.

Comment

• The pledge is pretty creepy.

Comment

• Freedom of speech

Comment

• The cops claim that they were surrounded and scared of being overrun. The video shows that guy pretty casually walking past a line of hippies and hosing them down with pepper spray.

My point is that cops are lying pieces of ****.

Comment

Working...
                                X