Clear All

• Very Happy Feet.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2231781/
    Toronto Zoo decision to separate ‘gay’ penguins sparks international outcry

oliver moore

Globe and Mail Update

Published Thursday, Nov. 10, 2011 8:42AM EST
    Last updated Friday, Nov. 11, 2011 12:42AM EST

The Toronto Zoo has found out the hard way just how vocal gay-rights supporters can be.

In a bizarre case showing how political the issue remains – even after same-sex marriage has been legalized in Canada and in nine other countries – controversy is reverberating over the zoo’s decision to break up a close relationship between two male penguins.

The African penguins, Buddy and Pedro, exhibit classic mating behaviours. They had formed a bond as part of a “bachelor flock” at a previous zoo and remained close when transferred to the zoo in Toronto. Because of this, the pair were popularly referred to as the ‘gay penguins,’ despite keepers saying that the bond is not necessarily sexual.

The decision to separate them – stemming from the zoo’s desire to take advantage of Buddy and Pedro’s good genes by breeding them – has sparked an outcry from commentators around the world. Reaction has included much ribald humour, including comedian Jimmy Kimmel’s reference to “Brokeback Iceberg," but many are fiercely critical of the zoo’s decision. ...
    Should gay animals have rights?
    Yes
    33.33%
    No
    44.44%
    Maybe, but not in my neighborhood.
    0.00%
    :ana: Only Bananas should have rights.
    22.22%

The poll is expired.

There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Yes.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Animals shouldn't have rights.
      Graffiti in a public toilet
      Do not require skill or wit
      Among the **** we all are poets
      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

It appears they're not exactly gay. Sort of prison-gay, maybe?
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Very shortsighted thinking. Now those gay penguins are going to go be with female penguins instead, and pass on their gay penguin genes until all penguins are gay. Then it's going to be pandas all over again...

Comment

I've never eaten penguin.

Is there some good eating to be had on them?
            Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
            I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Working...
            X