Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did America rename Armistice Day Veteran's Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did America rename Armistice Day Veteran's Day?

On one hand I understand it as being a more inclusive holiday including Vets from all wars but we kept it on the same day as the WW1 Armistice Day so it's obvious that is the origin of the holiday. My British born Grandparents continued calling it Armistice Day to the day they died but they were both born during WW1 and could put specific names to family members who had died in WW1 even if they didn't know them or were too young to remember them personally. It was stuff like "my uncle died at X", "my older brother was killed at Y", etc...

Any way here is a good BBC video about the Armistice Day silence being held in the UK: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15691954
    Last edited by Dinner; November 11, 2011, 12:32.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

"because **** you that's why"

No idea, who cares? Veteran's day celebrates something more timeless.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Armistice Day is about ending a war, which is not really something Americans do.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I call it Remembrance Day. :shrug:
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

My grandfather was born in 1916 and my grandmother was born in 1918 and my grandfather always has scares on his right hand the reason was in 1917, when he was just a baby crawling on the floor, his uncle came home from the westerner front, he had gotten leave for the Christmas holiday, and while home he had stepped on my grandfather's fingers with his trench boots. Trench boots had iron spikes on them so soldiers could get a grip in the mud but at home in Edinburough they just hurt the hands of small babes. That's something I remember from my grandfather; for all of his life he had scares on his right hand due to those WW1 combat boots.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
              My grandfather was born in 1916 and my grandmother was born in 1918 and my grandfather always has scares on his right hand the reason was in 1917, when he was just a baby crawling on the floor, his uncle came home from the westerner front, he had gotten leave for the Christmas holiday, and while home he had stepped on my grandfather's fingers with his trench boots. Trench boots had iron spikes on them so soldiers could get a grip in the mud but at home in Edinburough they just hurt the hands of small babes. That's something I remember from my grandfather; for all of his life he had scares on his right hand due to those WW1 combat boots.
              Why would anyone step on a hand of a crawling baby? Was your grandfather crying too loud?
              Graffiti in a public toilet
              Do not require skill or wit
              Among the **** we all are poets
              Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

It just happened.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                  You're like an old man with these boring ass personal stories. So extreme is your attempt to mimic an old man that your first sentence was a 68-word run-on sentence, you repeated yourself with a summary at the end, and you brought in irrelevant details like the year your grandmother was born.
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I think WWI has a relatively low significance to Americans because our involvement was so short and killed off such a small percentage of our population.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                      You're like an old man with these boring ass personal stories. So extreme is your attempt to mimic an old man that your first sentence was a 68-word run-on sentence, you repeated yourself with a summary at the end, and you brought in irrelevant details like the year your grandmother was born.
                      You are so full of hate. I don't understand why you needed to write this tirade. If Oerdin is so boring, why aren't you ignoring him?

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                        Armistice Day is about ending a war, which is not really something Americans do.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The only WW1 veteran I ever knew was my Great-Uncle Frank. He was awarded the Military Medal for his actions, but he absolutely loathed Remembrance Day- hated it with a passion. He said it gave politicians an easy way out. They've just got to wear a poppy, and bow their heads once a year, and it makes it all so much easier to send more men to die.

I think he earned the right to say those things and be respected for it.
                          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                            Don't leave out the fact that his spelling is similar to that of an Alzheimer's patient.

Comment

Terry Pratchett is a good speller. You ****!!"£%€^!
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X