Finito?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanS View Post
    I'd imagine that was due entirely to Spanish banks borrowing three-year money from the ECB at ultra-low rates and then lending it out to the Spanish gov't.
    Well, yes, of course, but this means that near and medium-term insolvency worries are relieved. The Spanish government also seems to take the idea of structural changes rather seriously, so.... if the alleviate the damages done by over-investment in sectors fueled by pre-2008 events, they will be ok. Spain's industrial sector was not substantially directly harmed by neither 2008 nor 2011, AFAIK.

This will not be short or easy, of course.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

As a private investor, I don't care about how countries got into the state that they are in. I care about the yield I can get vs. the risk I won't get paid back. At the moment, I would only trust Germany and the UK to pay me back. In fact, I trust the future dividend stream of companies like CTL more than I trust Germany and the UK.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

You trust PH and me to pay our taxes?
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
          belgium has a new government as of this month.
          Yes. Without a majority in the largest state in the country. Democracy at work.

Oh well, I am already scheduled to pay 450 EUR additional taxes next year, just for my company car.
          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
            You trust PH and me to pay our taxes?
            No. I trust Inland Revenue to force you and PH to pay your taxes. That said, there is a possibility your government might spend itself into insolvency.
            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by Az View Post
              Well, yes, of course, but this means that near and medium-term insolvency worries are relieved. The Spanish government also seems to take the idea of structural changes rather seriously, so.... if the alleviate the damages done by over-investment in sectors fueled by pre-2008 events, they will be ok. Spain's industrial sector was not substantially directly harmed by neither 2008 nor 2011, AFAIK.

This will not be short or easy, of course.
              as dan says the fall was due to the ECB's LTRO. spain still faces a lot of problems, the unemployment situation is horrible, the economy faces a difficult challenge to rebalance itself away from an over reliance on construction and there is a feeling that there is more bad news to come from the housing market and banks.

when it comes to LTRO itself, the size of it (483 billion euros) illustrates rather well the dire straights that european banks are in at the moment. it's another temporary sticking plaster solution which does nothing to address the underlying problems. in the immediate term, markets have reacted positively to it, but i think that once they really start to consider the size of the operation and what it says about the scale of the problem, sentiment will deteriorate.

i notice as well that the ECB has once again relaxed its collateral rules, at this rate i'll be able to tap up the ECB for a loan before long! what we're left with is a very good deal for the banks (who can access cheap credit with loose collateral requirements) and, potentially, a very bad deal for taxpayers, who will be left holding the can if things go wrong.
              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                No. I trust Inland Revenue to force you and PH to pay your taxes. That said, there is a possibility your government might spend itself into insolvency.
                i wonder how long it will be before the UK's situation deteriorates. they have the highest debt to GDP in the world, if you take into account all debt...
                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

I thought that was Japan?

Comment

Last time I checked our debt (in terms of the state) was not so alarming - about the same as Germany.
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

All debt includes government, corporate and private debt. Which is pushing 500% of GDP in the UK and Japan. It's a bit skewed though, because the UK is a financial centre which gives it unique properties.

Comment

I thought that was Japan?
                        i think it depends on what you count as debt, but yes the UK and japan are pretty close.

Comment

All debt includes government, corporate and private debt. Which is pushing 500% of GDP in the UK and Japan. It's a bit skewed though, because the UK is a financial centre which gives it unique properties.
                          Are you looking at a chart? If so, please do share.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

would be one, although the figures are a couple of years old.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                              Are you looking at a chart? If so, please do share.
                              McKinsey Debt and Deleveraging:

Exhibit 1 (and to an extent 16) in the full report. You may find the appendix charts of interest.

Comment

Also, there is updated research at the bottom of the page.

Comment

Working...
                                X