Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people who don't speak English go on vacations to countries whose language they don't know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do people who don't speak English go on vacations to countries whose language they don't know?

A few hours ago I tried to help an old french woman (she uses a cane)
    she doesn't speak English or Spanish. She didn't know German either. I had to connect the internet and use the babelfish translator English to French in order to give her some indications.

It is like the second time something like this happens to me with an old french lady.

How can you enjoy the vacations if you can't communicate at all? Just watching people and the views?
    I need a foot massage

She's French.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

the french, like the english, assume that everyone should speak their language as a lingua franca.

Comment

It's more difficult, but you can still enjoy it.
        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I would have missed many things if I had limited myself to that.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

MANY Americans come on holiday over here without bothering to learn any English first.
            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

Because they don't want to limit themselves to countries that share their language and are unable/unwilling to learn English? They pick a hotel with French-speaking receptionist and use him/her to deal with bookings/taxis etc.
              Graffiti in a public toilet
              Do not require skill or wit
              Among the **** we all are poets
              Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I was able to enjoy myself in France and Italy without knowing any Italian and only knowing a bit of French. The biggest problem I ran into is that my accent was so horrible that I'd have to point to the menu item I was ordering to avoid any confusion. (A lot of people in France and Italy spoke English, but some regions of Italy that I visited had few if any English-speaking residents and that wasn't a problem. In France I only went to Paris, but quite a few people either didn't speak English or pretended that they didn't speak English.)

I've also been to Quebec a few times, which had fewer English speakers per capita than France or Italy (at least, far more people pretended not to speak English in Quebec)
                <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                  MANY Americans come on holiday over here without bothering to learn any English first.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Zoetstofzoetje View Post
                    the french, like the english, assume that everyone should speak their language as a lingua franca.
                    English is the lingua franca nowadays, French used to be the lingua Franca here, but since the 1970s educated people are expected to know English, not French.
                    I need a foot massage

Comment

RE: English

So you surely would have no Problem understanding this?

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                        I still remember the Americans in Venice berating the poor Italian stallholder: "Dammit, why can't y'all speak English in this country?"

Dumb tourists

Dumb American tourists
                        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Our tourists are still more popular than yours.
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                            I still remember the Americans in Venice berating the poor Italian stallholder: "Dammit, why can't y'all speak English in this country?"

Dumb tourists

Dumb American tourists
                            My favourite was "If it's good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for everyone."
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

When I was in Berlin, I remember being 'complimented' by American tourists after giving them directions - one said to the other "All these Germans speak such good English!"
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X