How offended should I be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How offended should I be?

As some of you may or may not remember, I had a run in with a Hitler-loving coworker back in June. I've had plenty of other encounters with this coworker since then, but this one yesterday, I think, takes that cake (or bagel, if you prefer).

I walked up behind my coworker (let's call her Lyndon) to get to the refrigerator in our office kitchenette, and she turned around suddenly, startled to see me. I apologized for scaring her, and she told me how quiet I was. I said thanks, and she replied, "No, that's a good thing. I grew up in such a noisy house." I nodded and went about my business.

Not content to leave the conversation there, however, Lyndon continued, "So do you have any siblings?" I told her I had two older brothers. She asked, "Older? Oh. So you're the youngest. Are your brothers settled in their careers?"

I stared at her for a moment, wondering where such a question even came from, before giving a noncommittal yes. At this point I made my exit and returned to my seat.

A minute later she came back to the room we shared and continued the conversation. "So I remember what you said back there about your brothers being settled in their careers, and that made me think about my own children. My oldest children, they've found their niche in society, but my youngest daughter, she's still trying to figure things out for herself. And I thought maybe there was a correlation there, you know, with youngest siblings having trouble finding their way in life." She paused awkwardly. "No offense."

Again I stared, dumbfounded by her audacity. "Heh, maybe," I replied, and turned away from her, finally ending the conversation.

So, four points:

(1) Wow, that's ridiculously offensive.

(2) She thinks it's interesting that younger people aren't as settled into their careers as older people? wtf?

(3) I happen to know her daughter, personally, and the reason she hasn't figured out her life yet is because she's an idiot, not because she's the youngest sibling.

(4) Lyndon is a fifty or sixty year old woman working a **** data entry job in which I am higher up on the totem pole than she is. Who the **** is she to talk about me not having my **** together yet?
    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

A friend of mine used to get (justifiably) ticked off at co-workers quite frequently, but wound up with an ulcer. 99% of the time it's best in the long run to just let it slide.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

I'm not really offended. I'm just amazed. The reason Lyndon and I share an office is because the rest of our coworkers couldn't stand being next to her for 8 hours a day. My boss has been moving her around the office for a year and finally put her with me, because she knows that I'm not one to complain about these sorts of things. She regularly apologizes to me for it, though.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

She sounds like just a crazy old woman.

Ask her if she has cats?

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
          I'm not really offended. I'm just amazed. The reason Lyndon and I share an office is because the rest of our coworkers couldn't stand being next to her for 8 hours a day. My boss has been moving her around the office for a year and finally put her with me, because she knows that I'm not one to complain about these sorts of things. She regularly apologizes to me for it, though.
          In that case, see if you can finagle a raise out of the situation. "It would be cheaper to pay me an extra $2 per hour than to build a sound-proof wall around Lyndon..."
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
            She sounds like just a crazy old woman.

Ask her if she has cats?

JM
            I try not to engage her in conversation.

Comment

Kill them. Kill them all.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Yes, go postal.
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Didn't work that way round for me...I'm the youngest and seem to have been the most successful. I think the truth is that, in many ways, it is tougher for younger people nowadays than it was for people like me who have a decades head start.
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

At least we don't have to worry about primogeniture anymore.

Comment

Who's he, an Italian gangster?
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Extremely, at all times.

Spoiler:
                        I did not read the OP.

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post

Extremely, at all times.

Spoiler:
                          I did not read the OP.
                          I can't believe you didn't read the OP.

Comment

Get some stale kugel and choke her with it. Then leave a typed note saying ''That's for the Protocols of the Elders of Zion".

Should make for a groovy working environment.
                            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael View Post
                              I can't believe you didn't read the OP.
                              tldr

Comment

Working...
                              X