I turned down a job today-- mixed feelings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I turned down a job today-- mixed feelings

So Thursday last week I get called by a senior partner dude I know and asked if I could be interested in a job opportunity he knows about for a contact of his . I proclaimed my love of my current job ( the senior partner dude is extremely good friends with my boss ) but said I would be willing to hear about something if it were "clearly better"-- Management role-- bump in money etc etc. Short version- within a couple of days I meet with the president of the company and he is offering me the job on the spot.

I thought it over and turned it down today -- but I do have mixed feelings-- here was my analysis

A new area for me so work would be more interesting (PLUS)
    I really like my current team and role ( NEGATIVE)

I would be the senior lawyer in the company but they would not offer me the general counsel slot. That was considered to be senior management ad he said they would leave it vacant and consider promoting me into that spot in 6-12 months. ( Overall PLUS although as the senior lawyer I think I would be pretty much doing the General Counsel Role form the outset without the official; authority-- )

Company is large and well funded but relatively unknown among my acquaintances. (Slight negative- uncertainty)

President , ownership and almost all senior managers are Italian (Neutral-- possible travel plus-- possible cultural/legal differences potential minus)

It was an engineering construction firm ( Neutral--)

Holidays are less ( BIG MINUS-- I have come to really really enjoy my generous holiday package)

Compensation overall was less (BIG MINUS-- they were willing to exceed my base salary by a fair bit but the bonus scheme was so much less and the pension was less so comp was less even before I considered my existing long tem incentive program---)So I make a little bit less this year and lot less for this year in the longer term when my long term stuff comes to roost)

Overall-- I think its the type of job I want and would like to move to, but with a young family the idea of working more days for less compensation just is impossible for me. He wouldn't really discuss compensation for the higher role but the discrepancy was so large on the comp side on what was offered , I think even as GC I would not have been ahead any money. Probably equivalent at best .

I still think it was the right call even though there was a part of me that wanted to take a chance etc etc
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Jesus, I would have turned that down without even thinking about it...
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Sounds like you made the right decision.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

At least the mother ****ers called you back. Who calls you in to interview, pays for you to fly to mother ****ing Texas, puts you up in a hotel, and then just doesn't call you back?
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

They probably did a search for you and found your posts here.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

No doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
              At least the mother ****ers called you back. Who calls you in to interview, pays for you to fly to mother ****ing Texas, puts you up in a hotel, and then just doesn't call you back?
              Own goal?

Someone who realized their mistake in interviewing a hipster from SAN DIEGO.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I'm not a hipster nor have I ever been associated with any hipsters. WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                  Sounds like you made the right decision.
                  I know it was the right decision on all the money/benefits/ certainty side of things. The allure was twofold

1. It actually sounded like a really fun and exciting role and
                  2. I am pretty confident in my abilities and that I would have been made general counsel. Non lawyers may not appreciate that thats a pretty big step for people and its a threshold many people never break through

Bottom line is I picked more money and time off and the certainty of a job I do well with people I like over the uncertainty of a new very challenging role which gives less now but would likely be a better steppingstone to move up in the future

End of the day I guess I am in the same position that I relayed to a headhunter about a year ago when asked abouty a potential job-- " I really like my job. To get me out of here the offer would have to be exceptional in all ways"

THis offer had some great bits but thats all
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

If they wanted you for GC they would have offered GC. Everything else is bull****.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                      If they wanted you for GC they would have offered GC. Everything else is bull****.
                      the man is right for once

Comment

just not bull**** but carrot on stick

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                          I think it is this economy.

I was called back by Minnesota almost a month after my interview there saying they liked me but that unfortunately could no longer hire for the position.

Wasn't the first time it happened to me this year either,.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Yeah, the economy is the reason they couldn't afford to send him an email...

Face it, Slowpoke must have grassed you up to his redneck buddies/extended family about your anti Texan posts...
                            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

You turned down a generous offer from a firm run by Italians. Prepare to be waking up with a horse's head on your pillow every morning
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X