Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The War is Over!!!

But no one cares.

Surveys suggest that people give Mr. Obama high marks on foreign policy, but that has not helped his overall approval ratings.

OCTOBER 21, 2011, 7:53 AM
    The Value of Foreign Policy Victories for Obama

By MICHAEL D. SHEAR
    If there was one area of doubt about Barack Obama that lingered in people’s minds during — and even after — the 2008 campaign, it was how well he could handle a foreign policy crisis.

That doubt was planted by his rival at the time, Senator Hillary Clinton, whose most memorable television ad questioned whether people could trust Mr. Obama to take a 3 a.m. call in the Oval Office about a world crisis.

“It’s 3 a.m. and your children are safe and asleep, but there’s a phone in the White House and it’s ringing. Something is happening in the world,” the ad said. “Who do you want answering the phone?”

Now, three years later, Mr. Obama’s actions as the nation’s commander in chief may have all but erased many of those doubts in the public’s mind.

On Thursday, Libyan officials announced the death of Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi. In a Rose Garden statement, Mr. Obama hailed the American role in his death at the hands of Libyans.

“A coalition that included the United States, NATO and Arab nations persevered through the summer to protect Libyan civilians,” Mr. Obama said. “And meanwhile, the courageous Libyan people fought for their own future and broke the back of the regime.”

That success followed the killing of Anwar al-Awlaki, a key terrorist in Yemen, by an American drone authorized by Mr. Obama. And last spring, Mr. Obama ordered the raid that ended with the death of Osama bin Laden, the mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks.

But if Mr. Obama has satisfied many of the doubters about his ability to answer the 3 a.m. call, a nagging political question still remains as he begins his campaign for re-election next year: will it matter?

Is it possible that Mr. Obama has managed to meet — or even exceed — the expectations placed on him in the one area of policy that will not matter that much when it comes times for voters to pull the lever in November 2012?

Surveys suggest that people do give Mr. Obama high marks on foreign policy despite the efforts of some Republicans on Capitol Hill and his rivals on the presidential campaign trail.

But that has not helped his overall approval ratings because the country is so focused on domestic policy, and in particular the economic struggles that are affecting their homes, their jobs and their ability to feel good about the future.

After Bin Laden was killed in May, Mr. Obama did get a political boost, rising several points in the polls. And the victory helped quiet some of his most vocal critics in the Republican party.

The Bin Laden bump lasted just a few weeks, though, until the continuing impact of the economic downturn was once again front and center for most Americans.

And in some ways, the president’s success in hunting terrorists highlights his lack of success in other areas.

People who voted for Mr. Obama in 2008 expected him to keep the promise that his administration would change the way Washington operates. They believed him when he said the country’s economic fortunes would turn around.

Mr. Obama has not met the expectations in those areas for many people. The challenge for the president and his advisers in the coming year is to figure out how use his success in foreign policy and war-fighting to offset his difficulties elsewhere.

One possibility is that the president’s campaign could try to shift the election-year discussion more toward foreign policy. He could talk more about his wartime victories, and his campaign could spend more time highlighting the reduction of troops in Afghanistan or Iraq.

But that strategy runs the risk of seeming to be out of step with the conversation that American voters want to have. And it has the potential to backfire if people think the president is eager to avoid discussing the economy.

The issue is also not a natural fit for a Democratic candidate. Republican presidents have a long tradition of appealing to the American people on the issue of how to keep the country safe. Democrats do not.

The other option for Mr. Obama’s strategists is to try to find a way to link his foreign policy successes to the issue of his leadership on the country’s economic fortunes. That may not be as impossible as it sounds, though it would not be easy by any means.

Surveys suggest that people want a president who will show decisive leadership when it comes to addressing the economic crisis. They want boldness and a feeling that the president is in charge and confident. (Even Mr. Obama’s Republican opponents have been demanding it: they keep urging him to show leadership.)

If the president can use his foreign policy successes to bolster the broader idea that he is a decisive leader in other areas as well, Americans might come to view him differently.

One of the strengths of the president’s campaign in 2008 was in developing a narrative about him — an overarching story about hope. It’s possible that a new narrative could be developed about Mr. Obama that describes him as decisive, bold and confident. That could go a long way toward helping his re-election chances.

Mr. Obama’s advisers are keenly aware of the challenge that faces them.

But that doesn’t make it any easier.
    Except maybe for people too ignorant and blind to acknowledge that there were any successes. HC and that other guy, who's login I can't bother to remember, I'm looking at you.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Good news.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

What, does this mean people can't use the phrase "our three wars" anymore?

Oh, but we did send advisers to Uganda or something, right? Let's call that a war.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	eck05.gif
Views:	3
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	9092050

Go away!

Comment

It makes a good point of showing Obama's foreign policy successes, but it misses a key element: he didn't have Karl Rove to help him pretend that he was responding to a threat. This is why it won't matter.
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

It will matter for the election as his opponents won't be able to attack him there with much success, however the economy might be a better spot for his opponents.
            I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
            - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

To bad we wasted $2 trillion plus in that war to begin with. Yes, it's good that Saddam is gone but no he wasn't worth $2 trillion. It looks like Obama has kept another campaign promise and has got us out of Iraq with honor.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                What, does this mean people can't use the phrase "our three wars" anymore?

Oh, but we did send advisers to Uganda or something, right? Let's call that a war.
                We're done to one now. Obama's handling of Libya was light years better than the simian Bush's chest thumping in Iraq (Obama made sure allies made firm commitments BEFORE he took any action and demanded they actually take the lead militarily to prove they meant it then he demanded the Arab league officially request NATO involvement BEFORE the fighting started or he said he'd sit it out). He removed combat forces from Iraq last year and is now removing the remaining non-combat forces by the end of this year. That just leaves Afghanistan which is where we should have been all along if the neo-cons hadn't lied us into a war in Iraq.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious View Post
                  It will matter for the election as his opponents won't be able to attack him there with much success, however the economy might be a better spot for his opponents.
                  The economy is where Republicans have always planned to attack and that is what the Republicans in Congress have spent the last three years deliberately trying to sabotage. They've filibustered (or other wise obstructed via procedural rules) something like 98% of all bills in Congress since Obama took office including most bills written by Republicans as well as bipartisan bills which the Republican platform says they support and which individual Republicans (often in the leadership positions) campaigned on and said they supported. Yes, they're even blocking bills they wrote or said they supported simply because their goal is to make sure the economy doesn't get better or at least that nothing to improve it gets out of Congress. Republicans want the economy as bad as possible come Nov 2012 because they know that's the only way they can win the election and they care more about winning the election than they do about what is best for the country or that it is their jobs to fix it.

In short, they're treasonous pigs of the worst kind; just out and out traitors but I'm sure their brain dead fanatics will continue to support them no matter how criminal Republicans behave. It's disgusting.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                    To bad we wasted $2 trillion plus in that war to begin with. Yes, it's good that Saddam is gone but no he wasn't worth $2 trillion. It looks like Obama has kept another campaign promise and has got us out of Iraq with honor.
                    The article seems to be about Libya, Oerdin.

Get the US' wars straight.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Both wars were essentially finished this week so talk of "the war is over" should cover both.

Comment

The Iraq mission was accomplished years ago under Bush.

I don't know what the **** Obama was doing there for years. Didn't he get the memo?
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

He forgot.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

The current coalition leader sais Sharia Law is going to be instituted. Hey! Make the women slaves and chop off people's extremities.
                            There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Hooray...
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                              X