• Show
Clear All

• Lions and Tigers and Bears

Oh my.

At Least 30 Escaped Exotic Animals Killed Or Captured; Hanna Called In

CLOSINGS: School Closings & Delays
    Zanesville Man Pleads Guilty To Having 8 Illegal Firearms

Credit: NBC4
    Jack Hanna is called to a command center in Muskingum County after dozens of... By: Jason Mays & Denise Yost

Published: October 18, 2011
    Updated: October 19, 2011 - 7:47 AM

MUSKINGUM COUNTY, Ohio --
    UPDATE: Rick Reitzel is reporting from the command post in Muskingum County this morning.

Around 6:30 a.m. Wednesday, Zanesville police pulled up with Jack Hanna, the director emeritus of the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. He is working with the emergency communications group.

As an expert in exotic animals, he likely is offering authorities advice on the next steps.

The Muskingum County sheriff's office and Ohio troopers are looking for a range of exotic animals, including cougars, tigers, camels, lions and grizzly bears.

Sheriff Lutz told NBC4 shortly after 7 a.m. that 30 to 35 of the animals have been captured or killed.

There was a shoot-to-kill order overnight. Deputies and troopers used night vision to capture or kill those 30 to 35 animals. They also were concentrating on preserving the crime scene.

Hanna told NBC4 tranquilizing an animal at night is very difficult. He said that is not an excuse but an explanation.

Deputies and troopers will focus their search a 40-acre property off Kopchak Road and the surrounding area Wednesday.

If you live along Kopchak Road, Interstate 70 or U.S. 40, authorities ask that you stay indoors.

Lutz said they are searching by pickup truck along the roadways, not in the woods.

Other exotic animal consultants, other than Hanna, also have been called to the command center, which is located about a quarter-mile from the farm.

Consultants suggested leaving some food and some bowls at a farm to lure the animals back there.

Lutz said their main concern for public safety is any kind of large cat or bear species.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

Authorities are actively searching for "wild and exotic animals" after the owner of the Muskingum County farm from which they escaped was found dead Tuesday evening.

Deputies were called to a home on Kopchak Road after a report of escaped wild animals, including cougars, tigers, lions, cheetahs and grizzly bears at about 7:20 p.m.

As a result, Zanesville, West Muskingum, Foxfire Community and Maysville schools are closed for Wednesday.

Terry Thompson, the owner of the private farm, was found dead. Officials did not elaborate on how he died.

The sheriff said deputies shot up to 25 animals on the way to the home to check on the owner, but that there could be up to 48 animals still on the loose. Deputies said the animals' cages were found open.

"There were grizzly bears and black bears there. There were cheetahs, lions, tigers. Those were the primary things we would be concerned with. Any kind of cat species and any kind of bear species right now is what we're mainly concerned with," said Sheriff Matt Lutz.

Deputies have been given the order of "shoot to kill" in the effort to keep the public safe.

The Muskingum County Sheriff's Office encouraged residents near the Kopchak Road and Interstate 70 (near U.S. 40) area to use caution and stay inside.

"We want our citizens to take any and all precautions. They can tonight. Our number one priority right now is nobody gets hurt out of this ordeal. This is a bad situation. It's been a bad situation for a long time and the last thing we want to do is have any of our public hurt," Lutz said.

Lutz said crews are using night vision and searching by pick-up truck along roads.

"We're developing our strategy for the rest of the evening. Obviously, our goal is to not get any of us hurt here at the scene and obviously not go endanger any of our public so we will have patrols in the area doing the outskirts of the area," Lutz said.

He said that at this point, they are not going into the woods.

"We're still using basically pick-up trucks with deputies in the back. We don't have anybody really out on foot except the areas up around the house we have secured," Lutz said.

He also said they have consultants from the Columbus Zoo and The Wilds providing advice. He said they will likely put some feed in the cages to see if any animals come back overnight.

"The care taker advised they were fed yesterday. The animals have both been taken care of on a routine basis," Lutz said.

The Licking County Sheriff's Office said at least four calls were received relative to the sighting of exotic animals in southeastern Licking County. Officials said they have not confirmed the sightings reported by residents.

As a precaution, the Licking County Sheriff's Office activated members of its SWAT team who will be equipped with night vision and the necessary weapons to deal with any encounters with animals that may pose an inherent threat to county residents.

Licking County authorities encouraged residents to use caution when outside and to report any suspicious sightings to the Licking County Sheriff's Office at 740-670-5555.

Lutz said that the last time the sheriff's office responded to the home on a complaint, Thompson had all the legal permits for the animals. Lutz did not comment on the current status of Thompson's permits.

"The last time we were here on a complaint he was legal to be here. He has had permits in the past to have these animals," Lutz said.

In April 2010, NBC4 reported that Thompson pleaded guilty to two counts of possession of illegal firearms, including five fully automatic firearms and three short-barreled firearms without serial numbers.

According to court documents, ATF agents seized the illegal weapons while executing a search warrant of Thompson’s property near Zanesville in June 2008.

A news conference is scheduled for Wednesday at 10 a.m. NBC4 will provide complete coverage of the news conference.

WHIZ-TV stated deputies had to shoot a wolf that they believe came from the same property.

The Ohio State Highway Patrol is also assisting in the search with an aircraft unit.

For additional information, stay with NBC4 and refresh nbc4i.com.
    To submit a story idea or news tip, e-mail stories@nbc4i.com.

Wow. Just wow.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Well, today ought to be an interesting day at work.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

This is amazing on so many ****ing levels.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

What they should do is put loads of sheep out everywhere. Experience in Civ IV has shown me that wolves and bears and lions won't go onto tiles with sheep.

Comment

They also don't appear within cultural borders. Clearly, Ohio is uncultured.
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Lion and bear steaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
              They also don't appear within cultural borders. Clearly, Ohio is uncultured.
              You've no idea...

Comment

How close are you to this thing?
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Licking County is about two miles from my office.

Comment

This surprises me exactly 0%. I once participated in a poker tournament in Zanesville. One gentleman was offering oxycontin to the rest of us, while another had to get up in the middle of the hand because, and I quote, "I forgot to call my parole officer."

Comment

Ohio: Crazier than Texas? Possibly crazier than Florida?

You midwesterners are so silly sometimes.

(Proudly continuing the Poly tradition of racism against the residents of other states.)

Comment

Any face-ripping Chimps escape?
                        And indeed there will be time To wonder, "Do I dare?" and, "Do I dare?". t s eliot

Comment

(Proudly continuing the Poly tradition of racism against the residents of other states.)
                          Would that be statism? Or just straight-up xenophobia?
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I have no idea, but it is both completely ridiculous and fun to participate in.

Comment

It also happens to be accurate in the cases of Ohio, Texas, and Florida.

Comment

Working...
                              X