Bosh is GMing Diplomacy again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bosh is GMing Diplomacy again

I thought that this would be the best forum to get in contact with any old Apolyton Diplomacy players. I'm GMing another Diplomacy game (AKA the most Machiavellian board game ever) over at rpg.net. I just wrapped up the first game last week (Italian victory!) and we'll see which variant we play according to how many people we get.

Thread here: http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?...lomacy-Game-II
    You need to register to see it.
    Stop Quoting Ben

I've never played this game, but I once read an article about a tournament in WaPo magazine. Came away with the impression that it was basically Risk, but with a lot more backstabbing. One guy was quoted saying, "[other player's name] has been my friend for decades. I'd trust him with my life. But I wouldn't trust him not to invade Germany."

EDIT: Wiki says it's Kissinger's favorite game. That pretty much says it all right there, doesn't it?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Well Diplomacy plays very different than Risk on the tactical side. The main differences are:
      -There are no dice or anything else random involved.
      -Everyone writes up their orders for the turn at once and they're all adjudicated at once (which makes it better for online play since you don't have to sit around waiting for others to take their turn).
      -You can't win by just barreling a lot of armies at the enemy since you get stuck in WW I-style trench warfare if you do that (which leaves your other borders wide open). You've got to be sneaky.

And yes, there is backstabbing. Lots and lots and lots of backstabbing. Except for in the very early game I think there was one turn in one game in which I was not at war with someone. It tries to emulate the basic feeling of pre-WW I secret treaties and whatnot and does a pretty good job of that.

But yeah, it's nearly as quick to learn as Risk. Very very rules light. The tactical side of the game requires some cleverness, but it's pretty simple.
      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

cool, I'll check it out

Comment

Wiki also says "Social interaction and interpersonal skills make up an essential part of the game's play." Yikes. Even among the typical TBS crowd, I'd be the whipping boy.
          1011 1100

Comment

Maybe But having everything in writing makes for a VERY different game than face to face. Sometimes people who are charming in person can't get that across in writing and often good logic (or writing that seems like good logic) does a lot of good. Basically the stereotypical champion of most tabletop war games is an engineer, in Diplomacy its a lawyer. In Diplomacy (unlike 4X games) you can't turtle up and build up your forces that way or hope for one on one fights (except very rarely) that you can win by tactical skill.
            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I would play this, but I suspect even players on the opposite side of the board would immediately declare war on me on the first turn.

Actually I remember starting a game on Poly before which took ages to organise in the first place, only for one douche to pull a BK and drop out after the first turn or so. I really wish I could remember who it was, so I could name and shame them all over again! Let's just can him BK, for argument's sake...
              Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Genetically modifying?
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                  I would play this, but I suspect even players on the opposite side of the board would immediately declare war on me on the first turn.

Actually I remember starting a game on Poly before which took ages to organise in the first place, only for one douche to pull a BK and drop out after the first turn or so. I really wish I could remember who it was, so I could name and shame them all over again! Let's just can him BK, for argument's sake...
                  Couldn't you just divvy up his territory after that? Or else fight over it like a pack of savage dogs?
                  1011 1100

Comment

I don't have time for it...

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I would but no time. Besides, why don't you play and just use one of the judging programs which are out there. Everyone sends them their orders and it auto resolves everything.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                        Couldn't you just divvy up his territory after that? Or else fight over it like a pack of savage dogs?
                        we'd let his forces stand unsupported, but other players could support them against attack

Comment

I used to love Diplomacy, but I just don't have the energy for it anymore. Haven't had for years.

And get off my lawn!
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

the only drawback to the game for me is lying to people, I actually like the 2 player versions (wwi)

backstabbing people is not good for the karma, but it sure does induce a grin when a plan works to perfection

the game is not for the thin skinned or easily bruised, you gotta lose with dignity and put it behind you or the game becomes more about the personal vendettas of past victims. Ignore the pain of that knife in your back, applaud the conspirators... and spend the rest of the game looking for new allies, even if all you got left is an army in Moscow. Course they'll just finish you off right after promising support into Sevastapol.

Comment

Working...
                            X