Decent food soon coming to New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decent food soon coming to New York

I have heard scary stories about yanky interpretations of danish smorgasbord and ditto attacking a danish buffet, but here it's produced and served in the proper way.

I know that ther are a couple of poly's in NY, so it could be interesting if some of them had the guts to visit the place and give some stars.

link

TRIBECA — Better brush up on your pronunciation of "smørrebrød" — a new Danish restaurant is coming to TriBeCa this fall.

Copenhagen/Aamann, a 45-seat restaurant that's a spinoff of Danish chef Adam Aamann's eponymous Copenhagen cafe, will tout fresh ingredients and traditional dishes like "smørrebrød," a Danish open-faced sandwich (pronounced, roughly, shmer-brood.)

"Each little sandwich is a piece of art," said Sanne Ytting, founder of TriBeCa's Copenhagen/Aamann cafe. "It's healthy, organic and beautiful to look at."

The 1,200-square-foot cafe, at 13 Laight St. in the Tribeca Cinemas building, will be a "modern, funky yet classic, and warm" space offering a seasonally rotating selection of 12 smørrebrød sandwiches each day, Ytting said.

Varieties at the Copenhagen restaurant include homemade whole-grain rye bread topped with shrimp, eggs, mayo and peppery cress, or piled high with roast beef, pickles, fried onion rings and horseradish.

Aamann, describing his inspiration, said on his website that he found sandwiches had become "excessively fatty and meaty [with] few quality products, few vegetables, no herbs, too little fish and maybe a little general sloppiness — too little craftsmanship and too many pre-prepared ingredients."

His goal is to showcase high-quality fixings in unusual combinations, with small enough portions that customers can try three to five different sandwiches at one meal.

Other prospective menu items at Copenhagen/Aamann include green asparagus soup with nettle, poached egg and home-baked organic bread, and a tartare of beef with crisp potatoes, mustard cream, tarragon, capers and shallots, according to a preliminary menu.

Copenhagen/Aamann will also feature Danish beers and wines, along with a house-made aquavit, a traditional herb-infused spirit.

Aamann will come to New York to train the restaurant's staff and may bring the new cooks to Denmark to see his restaurant in action, Ytting said.

Ytting, 44, who is originally from Denmark but now lives in Chelsea, said she has long missed the familiar foods of her homeland, and sees the cafe as a way to bring Danes in New York State together, as well as a way to introduce Americans to the unique cuisine.

"I thought it would be really cool to have a cafe in Manhattan where we can go," Ytting said. "You can't really get it anywhere else."

The cafe will be open seven days a week for breakfast and lunch and will close by 8 p.m. An average meal will cost about $15.

Ytting plans to open by the beginning of October and is inviting the Queen of Denmark to the festivities.

Members of Community Board 1's Tribeca Committee unanimously supported Copenhagen/Aamann's liquor license at a meeting Wednesday night.

"Open it soon!" board member Bruce Ehrmann said.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

"smørrebrød," a Danish open-faced sandwich (pronounced, roughly, shmer-brood.)
    LOL. Smørrebrød is pronounced nothing like that. Trust me, I should know. I've spoken to Danish people in person and no human can pronounce their words correctly.

That said, Scandinavian chefs are often underrated by French snobs and sundry hipsters. Noma is outstanding by Michelin snob standards, and a Scandinavian chef was even a runner-up in the 5th season of Top Chef. (We all know why he didn't win; yes, it's Hollywood's long anti-Scandinavian bias, again!)

Comment

We all know you vikings are barbarians. It has been so for 1200 years and I don't want to hear your excuses about how you're not barbarians any more.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Varieties at the Copenhagen restaurant include homemade whole-grain rye bread topped with shrimp, eggs, mayo and peppery cress, or piled high with roast beef, pickles, fried onion rings and horseradish.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
          We all know you vikings are barbarians. It has been so for 1200 years and I don't want to hear your excuses about how you're not barbarians any more.
          Well, I don't recall your excuse for a country existing 1200 years ago...

Comment

tartare of beef?

Click image for larger version

Name:	tatar-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	9091982
            Click image for larger version

Name:	pumpkin-puke.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	9091983

Comment

Originally posted by Kitschum View Post
              Well, I don't recall your excuse for a country existing 1200 years ago...
              You've had 1200 years to decay into a frozen wasteland people only go to for pinewood furniture.
              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Alright, but consider this: Americans are much fatter than us. Much, much, much fatter and uglier. You're a repulsive race. It makes me sick really.

I think I'll have to go and throw up now.

Comment

Sure, many of us are fat, but not all of us. I'm practically underweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitschum View Post
                    Alright, but consider this: Americans are much fatter than us. Much, much, much fatter and uglier. You're a repulsive race. It makes me sick really.

I think I'll have to go and throw up now.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                      Sure, many of us are fat, but not all of us. I'm practically underweight.
                      This is awkward but... you got a hormonal problem, or are you just the very nervous type?

Comment

I just don't eat much. I have no significant health issues.

Comment

Awaiting diagnosis, huh? I bet you're cold often?

Comment

Working...
                          X