Serious question about US health insurance - please advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arrian View Post
    My only comment on the US is that the best deals tend to come via jobs with major companies. When you've got 10,000 employees, the insurers don't delve into individuals' medical histories in order to set the premium. It's a group deal.

So, if you shoot for the US, the key would be to find a big company that provides its employees with solid health insurance, and get them to want to employ you. Even then, there will be limits on coverage.

Best of luck, Pekka.
    Yup, I figured this could be the case. As far as surgery goes, I can do that in here. The level and quality is very good. I can't do significantly better in some other place. It's ALL the other stuff that isn't up to what I'd hope, that I'm seeking to acquire.

But... I need to start planning and scanning early (now) because these things take time, getting a new job so you'll have an opportunity to go to a certain doctor or hospital.... the idea is simple, execution has some holes in it
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
      You are completely uninsurable in the US.
      I have to agree with Kreacher. This time.

Comment

So your country won't give you early detection services or radiation therapy?
        Flash Games|Play free Games

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka View Post
          This would be exactly what I'm looking for. Spot on.

I would love to work for a Biotech company, but would most likely be able to land a job in a high tech company. Is this information based on your experience or is there a good website you'd recommend for me to use for further research?
          Experience. I have worked for small and decent sized high tech companies. My wife is a doctor and has worked in hospitals and Biotech companies.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

SPELLING, spelling was why you saw a need to edit your reply?
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

"Spellings"... not spelling.

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava View Post
                "Spellings"... not spelling.

You know guys, about insurance, if there's a real treatment in the US, the gov will pay for it. Well, not the gov, but insurance company. Then again, they won't consider anything 'a real treatment', everything is really just 'experimental' with them.

I've found few interesting places in the US, the bad thing is that they're really quite expensive. As in 10k a month expensive. I don't have that kind of money.
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

I have heard that China can offer experimental treatment at reasonable prices.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I have heard that China can offer experimental treatment at reasonable prices.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Also pre-existing condition exclusions still exist... at least until next year.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The US has far and away the best cancer centers in the world and the results to prove it. We have far higher cancer survival than anywhere else in the world, and it's because we don't have the government rationing health care to people.

If you get a job in the US of any technical or skilled nature, health insurance is almost always included as a benefit.

The pre-existing condition exclusion only matters for people who have been without health coverage previously and are not covered by their employer. Getting rid of that won't change anything though except it'll soon be impossible to get individual health insurance due to antiselection.

Comment

Starting in the US in a couple months I believe, when you get a job, they can not deny you for pre-existing because of Obamacare. I just got done with my orientation today, and that's what they told me. As far as what your insurance will pay for, I believe that depends on your insurance, and you will have to pay more for better insurance if you have a choice.
                          I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                          - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

About who the best country is in cancer, I think it depends on type of cancer you have. That said, for my kind (a particular brain cancer), it would be US. Germany is another option. I don't know if UK could also be at a top of the list.

Should I stay in working condition, I would get a good job for sure. I just checked out that in US, my typical pay would be 200k a year. I do something very specific (in demand though). SO... pre-condition might not be a problem? That's exciting! Also, I could even change my employer here, and this employer would allow, heck, I mean encourage me to relocate in the States. They have presence there and I have an open job offer from them, and it is a global position. It would be most likely Europe, Asia or US. I'd get to choose.

Hmhhh... very interesting information, Thank you for bumping this thread, I would have missed this one!
                            In da butt.

Comment

I would be interested to hear more about the specifics of what you do. I am under the impression that there are some similarities with my own areas of expertise. The company I work for has recently established an emergency response team and they are starting to get fairly busy. So far, this is in the US only, but I would expect there to be demand in the EU as well.
                              “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I hope things are going well, Pekka.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X