Need help finding Libyan Naval "incident"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help finding Libyan Naval "incident"

Back in the 1980s, Libya sent ships to the US coast as a show of force/defiance.

It went somewhat as you might expect, I remember they puttered around out there while american fishing boats ran sightseeing groups out to take photos. They eventually went home.

Problem is, I can't find any mention of this happening. Can anybody find references?
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

It never happened.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Besides fishboy.

Comment

Found this link :

On April 15, 1986, Libya fired two Scuds at the U.S. Coast Guard navigation station on the Italian island, in retaliation for the American bombing of Tripoli and Benghazi. However, the missiles passed over the island, landing in the sea, and caused no damage. As a result of the attack, the Coast Guard station was commissioned as a NATO base, including security hardening and an armory, as well as an Italian security detail stationed nearby.

At the time of the missile attack, the LORAN station was under the command of Lt. Ernest DelBueno, who panicked and attempted to evacuate his American crew by calling in a U.S. Navy transport helicopter from Helicopter Combat Support Squadron Four (HC-4), abandoning the Italians on his base, and in the community on the other end of the island.
        US bravery facing the enemy
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
          It never happened.
          concur

Comment

Here's a reference from just prior. Where they threaten to do it.

It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Thanks Rah! That's a start, at least.

Comment

That's a big FU to Blackcat.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

The Iranians are doing it too now! Watch out for Ahmadinejad's battleboats.
                  Blah

Comment

That's what started this.

Comment

Then the US can claim that they entered US waters whether they do or not. Capture the ship and crew, hold the crew for a few years and then set bail at 500 grand per sailor to release them.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                      X