Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does having greater dependence on computational algorithms make the market more rational?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zoetstofzoetje View Post
    what you're missing is

A) who´s gaining and who´s losing? there´s a variety of different types of agents, each of which has different goals and methods. what is beneficial to one (e.g. more trades) is detrimental to another.
    B) return per trade... who´s trade? what kind of return? which goal (e.g. long-term investment, short-term skimming, speculation, marketmaking, inside trading, etc)? anyway, there is not just one cake that is cut up, there are a variety, and if one cake grows another one shrinks. sometimes, new cakes are discovered. when they are, other cakes are destroyed.
    WT... You have no idea what I'm saying.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
      Just because you were a ****ty programmer for firms that went bankrupt doesn't mean everyone in the business is incompetent, Asher.
      To be fair to Asher, most workers in every industry are incompetent on some level.

Comment

It's been my experience that traders tend to be intellectually lacking.

When a couple of them visited Toronto for a week for design meetings the first question one of them asked, in a thick Jersey accent, was "Yo, where's the nearest strip club?"

I kid you not.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

That's just their high levels of hormones.

Comment

Obviously this reflects on traders in general.
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

It really does. I've honestly never met a trader and thought "Hey, this guy seems like a good guy". They're all people you'd want to smack repeatedly.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post

When a couple of them visited Toronto for a week for design meetings the first question one of them asked, in a thick Jersey accent, was "Yo, where's the nearest strip club?"

I kid you not.
                  Yes, but you would have thought they were avant garde cultural critics if they had inquired about the location of the nearest gay bar!

Comment

Originally posted by Zoetstofzoetje View Post
                    Yes, but you would have thought they were avant garde cultural critics if they had inquired about the location of the nearest gay bar!
                    There are no gay traders. All traders are straight, but they play with other men and it's just cool-like-that. They'll talk about beeps and greenbacks while giving eachother handjobs in the sauna.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post

I kid you not.
                      This is actually true in my experience. Frat boys with larger pay checks is what I've seen. Maybe it is the stress, the long hours which kill personal lives, etc... But liquor, hookers, and blow (in that order) seem to be what they're after on their time off.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Does anyone really still do blow?

Comment

Nope! Everyone stopped. There's no market for it.

There was a computer bug which tanked the market.

Comment

Either way, the blow comes after you get the hookers...

Comment

Working...
                            X