Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women in Saudi Arabia get the right to vote how their men tell them too.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women in Saudi Arabia get the right to vote how their men tell them too.

Women in Saudi Arabia are to be given the right to vote and run in future municipal elections, the country's King Abdullah announces.

Women in Saudi Arabia are to be given the right to vote and run in future municipal elections, King Abdullah has announced.

He said they would also have the right to be appointed to the consultative Shura Council.

The move was welcomed by activists who have called for greater rights for women in the kingdom, which enforces a strict version of Sunni Islamic law.

The changes will occur after municipal polls on Thursday, the king said.

King Abdullah announced the move in a speech at the opening of the new term of the Shura Council - the formal body advising the king, whose members are all appointed.

"Because we refuse to marginalise women in society in all roles that comply with sharia, we have decided, after deliberation with our senior clerics and others... to involve women in the Shura Council as members, starting from next term," he said.

"Women will be able to run as candidates in the municipal election and will even have a right to vote."

I do wonder why the bbc classifies the story under "us-canada".
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

The line "Women will be able to run as candidates in the municipal election and will even have a right to vote." My favourite.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15052030

I do wonder why the bbc classifies the story under "us-canada".
      As oil producers, the US & Canada are Saudi serfdoms. Why do you think we have been actively carrying out Saudi foreign policy for the last decade?
      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

why do you think US elected a muslim president if it was not for the Saudi oil

and on topic... US and UK only let women vote in 1920's... so Saudis are not even trailing a hundred years behind... what's the fuss all about
        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Working...
        X