Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sociology

What a ****ing worthless discipline.

What are the four primary characteristics most associated with those Americans sympathetic to the Tea Party? "Authoritarianism, ontological insecurity (fear of change), libertarianism and nativism." So says one of the many findings in a study presented to the American Sociological Association on Monday.

How the **** can a group be both authoritarian and libertarian? And are we really supposed to believe that the crazy ****ers who were perfectly willing to cause a government default are afraid of change? Jesus, what a stupid study...

Drake, it's possible to exhibit cognitive dissonance in one's own positions; it's possible for one to hold both authoritarian views on some issues and libertarian ones on others; it is also possible that the tea party is not monolithic and certain segments of the tea party hold authoritarian views while other segments are libertarian.

There's a lot of ways this can be explained without it being the people who did the study are retards.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Maybe you should read the definitions in the study.
      • Authoritarianism: respondents believe that obedience by children is more important than creativity, and that deference to authority is an important value.

• Libertarianism: respondents believe there should not be regulations or limitations on expressions such as clothing, television shows, and musical lyrics.

Comment

Okay and if you even skimmed the study itself, you would have seen that authoritarianism is, strangely, with respect to child-rearing. "We measure authoritarian disposition by summing responses to three questions about attitudes toward child rearing"
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

In our poll, 51% of the people who are very concerned about "changes taking place in American society these days" were TPM supporters compared to just 21% of those who were just somewhat or not at all concerned.
          That's how the crazy ****ers who wanted a default can be described as "afraid of change".

Comment

I'm glad you sociologist-level intellects are around to explain to us all how stupid and poorly-designed this study really is.

Comment

Or for that matter how poorly defined their interpretations/definitions applied are.
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Here's what the Tea Baggers stand for:

1) bigotry
                2) hatred (homophobia, racism, sexism, anti-Semtism, Islamophobia, xenophobia, ethnocentrism)
                3) willful ignorance
                4) elite worship (tax breaks and coddling of the rich, removal of services for middle class, working class, and poor)

So now that I've made the corrections, we can close this thread I guess.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

It sounds like the Tea Baggers are just typical Republicans.

Comment

Originally posted by Tupac Shakur View Post
                    I'm glad you sociologist-level intellects are around to explain to us all how stupid and poorly-designed this study really is.
                    Excuse me: the one person posting on this thread which has shown the poorest understanding of how to deal with a study has been you, judging research terms solely from everyday associations.

Comment

What an embarrassing thread.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Now it certainly is.

Comment

Cute
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Tea Party

Wish it all the best and wish we had it here.

Comment

The tea party is whatever you want to portray it as, apparently. It's so much easier to address the crazy, ridiculous elements of a movement than actually confront the more significant fraction that has beliefs as legitimate as your own.
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                              X