Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you help me understand this experiment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help me understand this experiment?

I find this a little confusing. If the tube of c02 was absorbing the heat/IR from the candle?
    1. Why does the camera not show the tube getting warm? or showing the absorption of the IR?
    2. How do they know the tube was getting warm if there was no way to measure the heat inside the tube?
    3. Could the c02 be reflecting the heat rather than absorbing?

Can you help me understand?

Originally posted by Docfeelgood View Post
    I find this a little confusing. If the tube of c02 was absorbing the heat/IR from the candle?
    1. Why does the camera not show the tube getting warm? or showing the absorption of the IR?
    The tube IS getting warmer, but really slowly. It is also cooling down by contact with the surrounding air. If you isolated the tube, it would take a while for it to heat up enough to start to irradiate on the IR wavelength. Non-isolated, even longer (if at all).

2. How do they know the tube was getting warm if there was no way to measure the heat inside the tube?
    Law of conservation of energy.

3. Could the c02 be reflecting the heat rather than absorbing?
    some might be reflected, but most gets absorbed.
    Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Some is promptly scattered at a wavelngth similar to the input wavelength (spread out by the vrownian motion of the scattering molecule). Some is absorbed as heat and later reemitted at a large spread of frequencies. The atmosohere consists of a giant mound of tiny elements like the tube. Basic transport theory tells you the overall effect.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by N35t0r View Post
        Law of conservation of energy.
        Bull****, you can't be certain that the law of conservation of energy was applied, if there was no way to measure it.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
          Some is promptly scattered at a wavelngth similar to the input wavelength (spread out by the vrownian motion of the scattering molecule). Some is absorbed as heat and later reemitted at a large spread of frequencies. The atmosohere consists of a giant mound of tiny elements like the tube. Basic transport theory tells you the overall effect.
          Mostly true. To get that reduction of the flames IR emmission, that tube have to be filled with CO2 wich isn't exactly the case for the atmosphere - though, I may be wrong if you really mean atmosohere .
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

You're a twit who is unfit to judge the truthfulness of what I said...
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
              X