Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much does audio quality affect the appeal of a vocal recording?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe someone should post the relevant Spinal Tap clip at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
      44.1 kHz is baseline "CD quality" sample rate, which should be sufficient for your purposes, but it sounds like you're recording in mp3 format. That's not surprising, but not preferred, as it's a "lossy" format. Better would be .WAV file format at 48 or 96 kHz. (Don't know if you have that option.)

There are websites for this kind of thing...
      I record in .wav but after I mix it, I save it as .mp3 for purposes of putting it up on a site like soundcloud.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I recommend going to a guitar center and asking them to set you up within your budget. I've been to ones in GA and TX. They are very helpful. Ask a lot of questions and make sure they know what program you are using. They're not going to check your registration. Also make sure they know how you are setting up your system and what your output is. A lot of times you may be missing something very small they will change the whole thing. I've purchased several programs and mics for my sons who rap. I personally have a boom mic(AT-897) that I purchased from bhphotovideo (also a good choice to call).
        What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
        What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

Actually, Pax, you'd probably be the best here to give some judgment on delivery vs. audio quality, since you apparently do listen to rap judging by your Outkast quote. People just say 'delivery needs work' but, like I said, I wonder if it's the audio quality that's making it 'seem' like the delivery is bad. Tell me what you think?
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

ATL-style for you, Pax

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio
            Last edited by Al B. Sure!; August 12, 2011, 22:44.

Comment

i listened to who is that. My first impression is that it's an amateur recording. It's sound like AM radio a little. That could have been your intent but I don't think so. I'm not really a fan of most rap coming out of Atlanta. A few songs by Young Jeezy, T.I. and Ludacris. Then Almost the entire Goodie Mob and Outkast. I lean towards groups/artists like Mos Def/Blackstarr, Common and A tribe called Quest, De La Soul, and etc for listening then more upbeat/dance/gangsta rap for running.
              What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
              What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

I am going to listen to both songs in the morning and I'll give you my opinion tomorrow. Don't be offended if I don't like it. You can't please everybody. You are on the right track by asking outside opinion. I find that you can really grow as an artist when people are honest with you.

Comment

Well I do it all. I just did the South trap stuff trying to be different and have a mainstream sound. I feel like my more true stuff is more droning and boring to people, though.

Here:

If you like those, here's another that I recorded in 2005 for perspective on any growth:

Again, we established that my audio quality is extremely amateurish ($15 computer mic and all that, no vocal editing). My question for you is, is my delivery ****ed or does it only seem ****ed and unlistenable because of my karaoke-like setup?

Delivery is the issue. Lyrics aren't. No one has ever criticized my lyrics.
                  Last edited by Al B. Sure!; August 13, 2011, 07:22.

Comment

320 is a waste of space. Do me a favor. Rip some music as MP3 VBR and tell me if you see one near 320.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                      ATL-style for you, Pax

http://soundcloud.com/ramseya/what-it-do
                      Seeing as I'm the most qualified person here, I'll sacrifice a little of my precious time to set you straight...

1. It's not just your setup; your flow is off and definitely needs work. Try loosening up so you don't sound so wooden and lacking in rhythm.

2. Your rhymes are lazy and sometimes non-existent; definitely need work. Rhyming "bag" with "bag"? Really? You do know that "bag" rhymes with "swag", right, which you use in the chorus and never rhyme with anything? "Fresh" and "death" don't rhyme, and you don't have the skills to make them seem like they do.

3. Your accent (or whatever accent you're adopting for effect) is hard to understand and annoying. You slur your words like Kanye, only you don't have a car accident to blame it on.

4. "See I'm from Philly, so you know I like scrappin'. Puttin' lights out faster than Barry White albums."

Good god, this is terrible. Poorly delivered, doesn't rhyme, and verges on nonsensical. Please change this.

Comment

I lean towards groups/artists like Mos Def/Blackstarr, Common and A tribe called Quest, De La Soul, and etc for listening

This man's opinion may be worth listening to.

Comment

Lyrics aren't. No one has ever criticized my lyrics.

I just did. Lyrics are all-important; if you don't get them right, it screws with your flow and makes you sound terrible, even if your delivery is good. You definitely need to work on this.

Comment

I'm not trying to be 'lyrical' on those. That's some South-style trap ****.

And umm... how is it nonsensical? Scrapping as in fighting... you put people's lights out (as in knocking them out) when you fight. Barry White made baby-making music to which people put out the lights to engage in intercourse. Hence, I put out people's lights (as in knocking them out) faster than people put out the lights when they put on a Barry White album.

I'm not taking advice from you on lyrics. Lyrics are absolutely not the problem. I have a decade worth of experience writing. I know where my rhyme schemes, punchlines, etc. stand and those are all straight. Lyrics are the one thing I get praised on. Delivery is the only complaint I ever get.

I have had very little experience performing to music. The last time I performed to music was in high school. I've done raps as spoken word but not to a beat. So while I have 10 years of experience writing, I have basically not performed to music outside of these home recordings.

Comment

Lyrics are absolutely not the problem.

Well, I tried. You're free to keep living in denial.

Comment

Al, your lyrics make me cringe.

Comment

Working...
                                X