Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it American to be irresponsible and insensitive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it American to be irresponsible and insensitive?

This question is motivated by reading the dregs of humanity on the yahoo comments section to articles, but there's a common theme I've noticed where irresponsibility and insensitivity are seen as patriotic by a certain segment of the population.

For example, on an article on yahoo about McDonalds cutting down on the fries and adding apple slices to the happy meal, self-proclaimed red-blooded Americans, in comments replete with references to America and denigrations to liberals (as if health is a liberal policy-issue), railed against McDonalds. Is being an irresponsible fat-ass deriding a company for attempting to offer healthier alternatives quintessentially American?

On an article about hybrid cars, in a similar flurry of 'Americanism', posters commented proudly about their gas guzzlers and their big trucks and hummers. Is being irresponsible to both your wallet and the environment American?

On an article about Obama having an iftar dinner, which has been an annual tradition at the White House since Clinton but was even observed by Thomas Jefferson, they, too, railed against the Muslim Obama and Muslims in general. Is being insensitive and a bigot to anything different American?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Are you asking if it's American to be like yourself?
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

No, those things are quintessential behaviors of Republicans.

Comment

It's pretty typical human behaviour, although it can be overcome. Some Americans are just louder and more obnoxious about it.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
          I was responding to the thread title. I wasn't about to read his post.
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
            Are you asking if it's American to be like yourself?
            Well done.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
              I was responding to the thread title. I wasn't about to read his post.
              That's lazy. You must be a Republican.

Comment

Trust me, it's like that all over the world. I'm starting to suspect it's some kind of novel therapy for the criminally insane where they give them a computer and bookmarks to a few news sites and tell them to just 'let out all the anger inside them'.

Comment

You're trying to draw conclusions about an entire society from yahoo comments?
                  Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Being irresponsible and insensitive is more a trait of the Internet then America.
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

If you want to be responsible and sensitive move to Russia!
                      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

The silly way americans behave and how insensitive they are , for them its so COOL .

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                          That's how it appears from overseas.
                          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

What MikeH and Gribbler said. Not content with ****ing up the world, the Republicans are now desperate to **** up their own country...
                            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Working...
                            X