No announcement yet.

A 3-D Printer/Copier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a video where they show them printing bladders and prototype kidneys for human transplantation purposes.

Comment

Wow.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by lightblue View Post
        Here's a video where they show them printing bladders and prototype kidneys for human transplantation purposes.

oh my god
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Fve Crathva View Post
          You don't need a 3D printer to print money.

Last I heard, RepRap was able to print 50% of a new RepRap. Aside from the custom electronics, everything that it can't print you can get at a hardware store. However, a lot of the stuff you can print you probably shouldn't print. My colleague bought a prototype RepRap Mendel built by somebody else, and it came with springs and gears laser-cut from wood. The toolhead fixture was wood, and it came apart when the wood glue melted from the heat travelling up the toolhead. Everything about that printer was terrible, even the z-axis rods were bent, and we never got it to work (it caught fire twice).

Later my group bought a Makerbot, a derivative of the RepRap, for about $1500. It took a day to assemble, and worked nearly perfectly on the first try.

SP
          Hey Fve Crathva, thanks for the additional info about RepRap, I didn't know they were still only doing 50% and had those problems. Cool info about Makerbot though. At least were making more steps forward with this kind of technology.
          "Life is the only RPG you'll ever play, The religious want to be one with the moderator, the scientists want to hack the game, and the gamers want to do both."

Comment

That RepRap was from a year ago, the hardware options have come a long way since then. The Prusa Mendel makes it quite a lot simpler, and I've seen people use them successfully. I still don't think I'd want to go in the RepRap direction unless I had a lot of time on my hands for tweaking (and easy access to a machine shop).

SP
            I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

In my prevoius job working in the printing industry these were the big thing for label printers. This was widely seen as an approach for clients to integrate a total prototype marketing concept approach. 3D stereolithography is cool stuff. Likewise an alternative approach was inkjet printing taken to its logical conclusion.

Now I get to work with nukes, about as far away from innovative design but still equally cool.
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post

Now I get to work with nukes . . .
                And knowing this has always frightened me on some level.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                  And knowing this has always frightened me on some level.
                  Thank god all you do is organize book shelves and do research on Lincoln
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                    The fact that he's holding a wrench and that the strip appeared around the same time that clip went viral
                    "went viral?"

i expected better of you, Matt.
                    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Is it that terrible a phrase?
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

let me put it this way: every time i hear some bull**** newscaster mention how one thing or another "went viral" i throw something in the general direction where that noise is coming from. It is a misbegotten term suitable for commoners and provincial hillbillies, who think they sound edgy by saying "gone viral" instead of "became popular" because it reminds them of the few very successful 'viral' marketing campaigns for The Dark Knight and Nine Inch Nail's album Year Zero.

people who use that phrase seriously should really have their genitals forcibly removed, and their breeding rights expunged.

Comment

Tell me how you really feel...
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by self biased View Post
                            let me put it this way: every time i hear some bull**** newscaster mention how one thing or another "went viral" i throw something in the general direction where that noise is coming from. It is a misbegotten term suitable for commoners and provincial hillbillies, who think they sound edgy by saying "gone viral" instead of "became popular" because it reminds them of the few very successful 'viral' marketing campaigns for The Dark Knight and Nine Inch Nail's album Year Zero.

people who use that phrase seriously should really have their genitals forcibly removed, and their breeding rights expunged.
                            So much hate over a mere phrase... have you tried yoga or meditation?

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                            Tell me how you really feel...
                            I think he already did.
                            "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                            "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I crush pussies for my relaxation, al, something that is wholly an alien concept to you.

"gone Viral" just bespeaks the ignorance of trendwhores that I cannot tolerate.

Comment

I bet you kill kitties in your sleep.

Comment

Working...
                                X