S. Korea enacts 'chemical castration' law for pedophiles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S. Korea enacts 'chemical castration' law for pedophiles

Judges will have power to order sex offenders who have attacked children under 16 to undergo medical procedure that can last for up to 15 years

SEOUL — South Korea has enacted a law allowing the use of 'chemical castration' on convicted pedophiles, the Justice Ministry said on Sunday, becoming the first Asian country to permit the punishment.

The law gives judges the power to order sex offenders who have attacked children under the age of 16 to undergo a medical procedure, widely known as chemical castration, which can last for up to 15 years.

"The law takes effect as of today," a ministry official said on condition of anonymity, adding that dozens of criminals be sentenced to the punishment this year.

The legislation has generated strong protests from human rights bodies.
    Good.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

I don't think that someone who has sex with a 15 year-old (or even a 14 yo) is a pedophile. A predator, likely yes, a pedophile no...

Until recently the age of consent laws were 13 I believe, and they recently moved up to 19.

I personally think that this law should just be for those who are actual pedophiles, who have sex with girls under 13.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

That's not their interpretation. You're citing things from your experience, not theirs.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Actually pedo- applies to children, so, as Jon notes that is under 13 or pre-pubescent. Those who have sex with teens are technically called ephebophiles.

Edit: oh there is something called hebephillia too:
        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Considering that their age of consent was 13 until quite recently (and if you look for it online, it still shows as 13), I think that this law doesn't fit their experience either.

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

You better hurry and call them because it starts today.

Comment

I don't like laws all over the world.

Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                I don't like laws all over the world.

Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it.

JM
                Sig material!
                "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Bad news for Lancer.

Comment

What if after three months turns out they got the wrong guy? Chemical de-castration?
                    Blah

Comment

I'm pretty sure the effects of chemical castration are reversible. That's one of the reasons it's preferred over surgical castration.

Comment

I wondered because the article says "can last for up to 15 years" Does anyone know how that works? I mean, assuming you have set it to last a certain time can it be reversed before that time is up?

"We castrate you chemically for the next 5 years!"

"Oooopsi, seems we were wrong. Well, you have to wait 4yrs/7mnts until we can do something."

"Yeah, sure."
                        Blah

Comment

I think it means they will force the pedophiles to take the chemical castration medication for 15 years?

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro View Post
                            What if after three months turns out they got the wrong guy? Chemical de-castration?
                            The main problem with chemical castration is the scary name it was given. It sounds like it's pouring sulphuric acid on dicks. In reality, you are just given shots of hormones on a regular basis that render you impotent. If it was called "sex drive suppression", no one would talk about it.
                            Graffiti in a public toilet
                            Do not require skill or wit
                            Among the **** we all are poets
                            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Ahh, so the verdict can be max. 15 yrs? I really didn't get that, I thought the "treatment" or whatever they call it can have an effect that long....Bah, my bad.
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X