Is Russia really that bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Russia really that bad?

I was under the impression that the Russian economy is improving as is the standard of living in Russia, however, a young Russian woman I know from another web forum recently posted on her Facebook page about a job she landed in London, UK: "I have now realized the dreams of every Russian woman. Getting the hell out of here and moving to the west."

Russian posters of Apolyton, is it really still that bad in Russia? Is it true that most young people still want to immigrate?
    Last edited by Dinner; July 15, 2011, 18:47.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

If you fall in a dung heap and upon rising, wash your hands, you're better off than you were, but you're still covered in crap.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
      I was under the impression that the Russian economy is improving as is the standard of living in Russia, however, a young Russian women I know from another web forum recently posted on her Facebook page about a job she landed in London, UK: "I have now realized the dreams of every Russian woman. Getting the hell out of here and moving to the west."

Russian posters of Apolyton, is it really still that bad in Russia? Is it true that most young people still want to immigrate?
      I have heard that the answer is yes.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I was in Russia just two weeks ago. The answer is - yes, but it is complicated.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

It's the middle class that wants to emigrate. We've been abroad, we've talked to foreigners, we get our news from places other than state TV, there's no party that supports our views, no wonder we want to emigrate.
          I bet Serb doesn't want to emigrate.
          Graffiti in a public toilet
          Do not require skill or wit
          Among the **** we all are poets
          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I was just kind of surprised she put it so bluntly because she's well educated with an advanced degree, has great professional work experience, and is smoking hot to boot so it's no wonder she was able to land a good job in the UK. I can't help but feel people like her are exactly the type of young urban professionals Russia should be trying to hold on to though she claims there are social barriers for women advancing up the corporate ladder in Russia so she moved over seas for better opportunities (well, among other things).

Comment

Dammit, more bloody Ruskies clogging up the West End
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                I was just kind of surprised she put it so bluntly because she's well educated with an advanced degree, has great professional work experience, and is smoking hot to boot so it's no wonder she was able to land a good job in the UK. I can't help but feel people like her are exactly the type of young urban professionals Russia should be trying to hold on to though she claims there are social barriers for women advancing up the corporate ladder in Russia so she moved over seas for better opportunities (well, among other things).
                That's the problem. People like her are the least wanted by the modern Russian state. They do not fit into the system Putin is trying to build. Too self-sufficient, too demanding.

Comment

Well, that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                    That's the problem. People like her are the least wanted by the modern Russian state. They do not fit into the system Putin is trying to build. Too self-sufficient, too demanding.
                    I take it you aren't a big Putin fan.
                    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                      I take it you aren't a big Putin fan.
                      I'm not that big of a hater, but my position in the last year or two has changed from "I want my children to grow up in Russia!" to "I wonder what country I should move to?"
                      Putin was a welcome break from Yeltsin's vodka-fueled incompetence and his clique of oligarchs back in 2000. By 2010 he has replaced them with his own clique. As for the incompetence... We had seven years of sky-high oil prices. What have we achieved? At the very least, the money could've been reinvested into the oil industry that is still exploiting the old Soviet wells. I have seen no new shiny American-style highways. I have seen no army reform. I have seen no new power stations built. I haven't heard about any scientific breakthroughs made by Russian scientists in Russian institutes.
                      On the other hand, I have seen a road from Moscow to Vladimir that has more potholes than tarmac and is considered a good one. I have seen that it took our army several days to curbstomp an insignificant country like Georgia. I have seen a terrible accident on the largest hydroelectric power station in Russia that happened because there were no competent engineers left to watch the old equipment made in USSR. I have heard a Russian-born Nobel Prize winner tell the Russian government to **** themselves when they invited him back to lead the new pet project of the president.
                      I know that it would be impossible to do all of this at the same time with our oil money, but whither has it gone?

Comment

Yet Putin's very popular in most of Russia. Why is that? By the way, I'm not sure if you're implying you support Russia's attack on Georgia (I hope not).
                        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Sounds like the us, only we aren't all ready to immigrate yet
                          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

How vast are Russia's oil reserves? When is oil extraction expected to peak or has it already?

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                              Yet Putin's very popular in most of Russia. Why is that? By the way, I'm not sure if you're implying you support Russia's attack on Georgia (I hope not).
                              The combination of good PR and trickles of oil money reaching the parched provinces work wonders. And his AR is around 50% atm, so it's not Kim Chong-Il-high.
                              And yes, I support our retaliatory attack on one of our ancestral stomping grounds. Although I'd have preferred a finer approach.

Comment

Working...
                              X