Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some people may actually profit by betting against our economy's recovery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Higher interest rates would be the result of a recovery.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
      In case of the USA, you lose.
      Oh, it's a Canadian recovery fund. I wouldn't invest in a US recovery.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Then you're smart, Asher.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

This is just like those evil, evil republicans. You best believe it. Does big mike and moveon.org have a video on youtube on this with him pointing at a blackboard with a piece of chalk? I don't get my commentary anywhere else. Him pointing with chalk to a blackboard is how you can tell that the video is an informative schoolmarm's lecture on economics and not poorly produced far left propaganda.
          Last edited by Zevico; July 1, 2011, 03:48.
          "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

I guess you're oblivious to how much greed can affect human behavior, Zevico.

Comment

You can "guess," but idle guesses are no substitute for thinking seriously about economic issues.

Let's suppose, for a moment, that this monumental sum of $15,000 USD "makes a killing."

Let's suppose, for a moment, that the economic otherwise goes in recession or depression because Eric Cantor wants to "make a killing" from $15,000. Property prices fall; salaries fall; unemployment rises. These prize economic conditions are excellent for the good Mr Cantor's future and current prosperity, of course, as well as that of his family.

What kind of return would you want from your $15,000 so that you can rest assured that you and your family would be sitting pretty for the foreseeable future while your other sources of income dry up? Is $15,000 the only thing he's invested, ever? What about shares on the stock exchange? What if your children lose their jobs? What if your property becomes worthless?

The fact that this man invested $15,000 USD in short selling does not prove that he has some undue motive to bankrupt the nation. It's $15,000. It's not like he threw his life's savings into this. It is terribly naive of you to think that he's betting on a $15,000 investment when entering into these negotiations.

The fact that you posted this article merely indicates how willing you are to take nonsense at face value.
              Last edited by Zevico; July 1, 2011, 05:30.
              "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                Higher interest rates would be the result of a recovery.
                Thank you...
                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Killing it is the new killing it
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

And so it comes full circle. Wasn't there outrage, shiock, and dismay that the Dems were accused of secretly hoping and rooting for terrible conditions wrt Iraq war and Economy circa 2003-2006? To make these claims was the height of improper unseemly partisan conduct.

"How dare you accuse us of being unpatriotic" "We are not traitors" etc. was the rallying cry of the falsely accused.

Now instead the President himself and his Sec of State chatises congress for the executive branch's own shortcoming vis-a-vis Libya military involvement and failure to get authorization from congress in keeping with War Powers Act (what likely would have been a slam dunk) and indicates that they are on the wrong side. A much greater degree of calling the opposition traitors than I can recall from any other administration.
                  "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

You're apparently oblivious that short treasuries should generally be viewed as a bullish bet on the us economy...
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Clearly this guy is up to no good since his shorting bond fund is in the same value range as his stock in Domino's pizza and Verizon stock (and various other assets). He's going to make a killing when pizza phones are rolled out.
                      Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Originally posted by Zevico View Post
                        You can "guess," but idle guesses are no substitute for thinking seriously about economic issues.

Let's suppose, for a moment, that this monumental sum of $15,000 USD "makes a killing."

Let's suppose, for a moment, that the economic otherwise goes in recession or depression because Eric Cantor wants to "make a killing" from $15,000. Property prices fall; salaries fall; unemployment rises. These prize economic conditions are excellent for the good Mr Cantor's future and current prosperity, of course, as well as that of his family.

What kind of return would you want from your $15,000 so that you can rest assured that you and your family would be sitting pretty for the foreseeable future while your other sources of income dry up? Is $15,000 the only thing he's invested, ever? What about shares on the stock exchange? What if your children lose their jobs? What if your property becomes worthless?

The fact that this man invested $15,000 USD in short selling does not prove that he has some undue motive to bankrupt the nation. It's $15,000. It's not like he threw his life's savings into this. It is terribly naive of you to think that he's betting on a $15,000 investment when entering into these negotiations.

The fact that you posted this article merely indicates how willing you are to take nonsense at face value.
                        No, $15,000 is not a "killing." And no, I don't think this is his only investment.

So why invest such a paltry amount of $15,000 in short selling?

Comment

I don't think someone is likely to become a member of congress if they value money over how people think of them, whether they get a sense of satisfaction from making the world a better place, etc. to such an extent that they would try to force the US government to default on its debts just so they can win $15,000.

Comment

So he invested money because he did not want to make any money out of the investment.

Comment

Of course he wanted to make money. Someone has already offered a very plausible explanation for his investment (it's a good investment if the economy recovers, and he thinks it will). Seems a lot more plausible than some scheme to make the US default on its debts that would make him infamous just for $15,000 when he's already rich.

Comment

Okay - I'll buy that greedy politicians have our country's best interests at heart.

Comment

Working...
                                X