Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some people may actually profit by betting against our economy's recovery.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some people may actually profit by betting against our economy's recovery.

GOP Negotiations/Conflict of Interest?
    BY SILENCE DOGOOD – JUNE 30, 2011

What would happen if Republicans positioned themselves to gain monetary rewards if the debt ceiling is not raised? Would there be repercussions for a House Majority Leader who stands to win financial gain for tanking our economy? Would you believe that this is not merely a hypothetical?

Last year the Wall Street Journal reported that Cantor, the No. 2 Republican in the House, had between $1,000 and $15,000 invested in ProShares Trust Ultrashort 20+ Year Treasury EFT. The fund aggressively “shorts” long-term U.S. Treasury bonds, meaning that it performs well when U.S. debt is undesirable. (A short is when the trader hopes to profit from the decline in the value of an asset.)

According to his latest financial disclosure statement, which covers the year 2010 and has been publicly available since this spring, Cantor still has up to $15,000 in the same fund. Contacted by Salon this week, Cantor’s office gave no indication that the Virginia Republican, who has played a leading role in the debt ceiling negotiations, has divested himself of these holdings since his last filing. Unless an agreement can be reached, the U.S. could begin defaulting on its debt payments on Aug. 2. If that happens and Cantor is still invested in the fund, the value of his holdings would skyrocket.

“If the debt ceiling isn’t raised, investors would start fleeing U.S. Treasuries,” said Matt Koppenheffer, who writes for the investment website the Motley Fool. “Yields would rise, prices would fall, and the Proshares ETF should do very well. It would spike.”

The fund hasn’t significantly spiked yet because many investors believe Congress will eventually raise the debt ceiling. However, since Cantor abruptly called off debt ceiling negotiations last Thursday, the fund was up 3.3%.

Or in other words, the person who is playing hardball in bipartisan debt discussions stands to benefit substantially if negotiations collapse and the debt ceiling is not raised, causing the U.S. to default on their loans.

Our elected officials should be working towards stabilizing our economy, not betting against it.
    Does Cantor Really Want Recovery?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

sigh

There are so many problems with that article, it's exhausting just thinking about where to start.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

That's because you can't actually identify anything wrong with it.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

GOP Negotiations/Conflict of Interest?
        BY SILENCE DOGOOD – JUNE 30, 2011

What would happen if Republicans positioned themselves to gain monetary rewards if the debt ceiling is not raised? Would there be repercussions for a House Majority Leader who stands to win financial gain for tanking our economy? Would you believe that this is not merely a hypothetical?

Last year the Wall Street Journal reported that Cantor, the No. 2 Republican in the House, had between $1,000 and $15,000 invested in ProShares Trust Ultrashort 20+ Year Treasury EFT. The fund aggressively “shorts” long-term U.S. Treasury bonds, meaning that it performs well when U.S. debt is undesirable. (A short is when the trader hopes to profit from the decline in the value of an asset.)

So he has maybe FIFTEEN GRAND TOPS invested in shorts. First of all, that's paltry. Second of all, Congressmen don't manage their own portfolios. They get professionals to do it for them, like most people with lots of stocks. If you have a diversified portfolio, you're likely to have some money in Treasurys, and as a hedge, you're likely to have some money in Treasury shorts. This is not out of the ordinary in any way, and doesn't imply a conflict of interest. In fact, as long as his stake in Treasurys is greater than his stake in shorts, it's against his interest to have Treasurys decrease in value.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
          That's because you can't actually identify anything wrong with it.
          I can, I'm working on it one bit at a time...

Comment

Here's the other reason this is stupid. If Cantor had money in something that suggested Washington DC would get nuked, I would still be skeptical that he was aiming for Washington DC to get nuked. By analogy, it's stupid to think that because Cantor's hedged his bets, he's trying to tank the economy.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
              So he has maybe FIFTEEN GRAND TOPS invested in shorts.
              Fifteen grand is about 10 years salary for a BA, mind you.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                Fifteen grand is about 10 years salary for a BA, mind you.
                zing!

Comment

For the record, I've got about fifteen grand invested in a Recovery fund...

What does that say about my hopes, MrFun?
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

You know, you could argue that fire insurance is betting against your house not burning down. If you get fire insurance, does that imply you'd like an arsonist to burn down your home?

Or life insurance! I'm betting against my own life! It's like Death of a Salesman!

Comment

Why would anybody believe that short treasuries is betting AGAINST economic recovery?
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

You know, you could argue that fire insurance is betting against your house not burning down. If you get fire insurance, does that imply you'd like an arsonist to burn down your home?

Or life insurance! I'm betting against my own life! It's like Death of a Salesman!
                        Insurance 101

Jewish Stocktake The process by which a shopkeeper destroys their own shop in a self-lit fire, in order to claim insurance. The payout from the insurance is invariably higher than the projected profits from the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                          For the record, I've got about fifteen grand invested in a Recovery fund...

What does that say about my hopes, MrFun?
                          In case of the USA, you lose.
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                            Why would anybody believe that short treasuries is betting AGAINST economic recovery?
                            (Serious question) Would higher interest rates would be good for the recovery?

Comment

(Serious question) Would higher interest rates would be good for the recovery?
                              Why would higher interest rates help a recovery? Higher interest rates make people less willing to borrow money and spend it.

Comment

Working...
                              X