Anyone use a free 3-D modeling app?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone use a free 3-D modeling app?

I'm looking up info and reviews about this 3-D app called Blender (2.5 version).

Does anyone use it? Do you like it, or does it suck? What app would you suggest?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

I used Blender once for a class... it seemed to have a bit of a learning curve at first (especially for me, who had never used a 3-d graphics tool like that before). But, once I got up and running, it was powerful enough to do everything I needed.

Of course, I have no basis for comparison and was using a year-old version of the software, so take that with some salt.

Comment

My twin brother used to be a blender wizard. It has a steep learning curve, but once you learn it, you can do incredible things. But it's like a piano, you need to practice it constantly to get good.
      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Yeah - a couple of others who made comments elsewhere mentioned about it's high learning curve.

Comment

Had a brief look n Blender some time ago, I found that the "unusual" user interface of Blender made me want to nuke those responsible from orbit, but could be I've been spoiled by using non-free 3d sofware with a different GUI (to which I quickly returned) for long. Others may just get along with this bettter. Given the prices of professional 3d software packages Blender is a good alternative, and I've seen people starting with zero skillz achieving very good results after some time.

That being said "high learning curve" is to be expected in the 3d modelling/rendering world, whatever program you start with.
          Blah

Comment

Thanks for your post, BeBro.

Comment

Blender is super-hard to use, but once you learn it it's supposed to have one of the most efficient interfaces ever. I recommend it to my students (with that caveat) along with the OpenSCAD programming language, but I use neither. My preferred tool is 123D, which is from the same company that makes AutoCAD. It's in beta and fairly buggy, but it's very easy to use and they have a good video tutorial series on Youtube. Obviously it's a CAD modeller, so it doesn't have the artistic and animation features you'd find in Blender.

Another new program is Sculptris, which I've never used but I've heard good things about it.

SP
              Last edited by Fve Crathva; July 2, 2011, 01:18.
              I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

It seems there's a general consensus about blender. MrFun, if you want to get good, you really have to keep at it. It is something anyone can learn but it just takes practice.
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Fve Crathva View Post
                  Blender is super-hard to use, but once you learn it it's supposed to have one of the most efficient interfaces ever. I recommend it to my students (with that caveat) along with the OpenSCAD programming language, but I use neither. My preferred tool is 123D, which is from the same company that makes AutoCAD. It's in beta and fairly buggy, but it's very easy to use and they have a good video tutorial series on Youtube. Obviously it's a CAD modeller, so it doesn't have the artistic and animation features you'd find in Blender.

Another new program is Sculptris, which I've never used but I've heard good things about it.

SP
                  I will check out Sculptris.

Comment

If you are a student or know one you should consider purchasing the academic version of some software. I shop from academicsuperstore.com but there are others.
                    What can make a nigga wanna fight a whole night club/Figure that he ought to maybe be a pimp simply 'cause he don't like love/What can make a nigga wanna achy, break all rules/In a book when it took a lot to get you hooked up to this volume/
                    What can make a nigga wanna loose all faith in/Anything that he can't feel through his chest wit sensation

Comment

Working...
                    X