At Last, the Amish Apologize for the Holocaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
    Do you think this is the weirdest thing the Amish have done or something? Why do you even care?
    It seemed WTF. Also I don't know much about Amish (we don't have any in Europe) except that they shun some modern technology, do you have any other wierd news stories about them?
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris View Post
      Hera, your point is moot, they didn't tell others they should apologize, they just decided they would. It's a bit weird but nothing to see there, move on.
      To me it seemed like they where saying: "Oh look at us we're so moral and pure and cry for every tree and river soiled by polution and every abused child! We're better than you."

How dare they be so compassionate and Christ-like! It makes me want to punch them or something. Makes the rest of the world look bad.
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Alright, who wrote about the holocaust on corn so that the Amish would find out about it?

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
          Amish tracing their roots back to Germanic heritage (in fact most still speak a dialect thereof), likely feel a connection to things that happened back in Germany moreso than other groups. Thus the apology for silence makes some semblance of sense.
          So if Brits commited atrocities against the Boer, Americans should feel guilty?

I don't know the wierd part is why did they choose to apologize for this somewhat to them connected injustice rather than say some of the other examples in the OP?

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
            So if Brits commited atrocities against the Boer, Americans should feel guilty?
            Given Americans are of diverse backgrounds some without a hint of British ancestry, not necessarily. Of those that do have British ancestry how many actively follow the traditions and histories of the Brits. Who knows, that small sect may indeed feel some level of connection to the actions of the Brits.
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

It seemed WTF. Also I don't know much about Amish (we don't have any in Europe) except that they shun some modern technology, do you have any other wierd news stories about them?
              They have great orgies with lots of cocaine.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Ogie Oglethorpe View Post
                Given Americans are of diverse backgrounds some without a hint of British ancestry, not necessarily. Of those that do have British ancestry how many actively follow the traditions and histories of the Brits. Who knows, that small sect may indeed feel some level of connection to the actions of the Brits.
                Not this debate again Let's see if you get mocked for denying that the American people are primarily of English descent and culturally English.
                "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

The article says Amish from Switzerland.

They are mostly concentrated in Lancaster County, PA, not far from Philly, though.
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Well the comparison is not apt. One thing that can truly be said about the Amish they are uniquely culturally homogeneous while wide swaths of Americans are not.

Comment

source article: "this delegation does not represent the Amish at large, rather their faction"

639,898 people will have chance to vote in 1,032 polling places; polls open for reduced hours, between 1 and 10 p.m.

spin spin spin

Comment

Would a lobotomy make Hera smarter?
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Jews and a group of Germans that keep to their own kind and are stuck in the past... this is right up Hera's alley.

Comment

Working...
                          X