The happiest country in the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The happiest country in the world

Australians are the happiest people in the world overall, according to the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and its new Better Life Initiative index.
    In a comparison of people in the 34 OECD member countries, using 11 indicators - such as income, education and health - weighted equally, the OECD's Better Life Initiative found that Australians were the most satisfied with their lives.
    In order, the next nine happiest countries were: Canada, Sweden, New Zealand, Norway, Denmark, the US, Switzerland, Finland and the Netherlands.
    Along with the 11 factors the OECD associates with a "good life," the index takes into consideration citizens' answers to quality-of-life questions like, "How satisfied are you with your life?" "How would you describe your health?" and "Do you know someone you could turn to in a time of need?"
    However, adhering to the adage that what makes one person happy may make another miserable, the OECD has also provided a new tool that allows the user to tweak criteria to fit their own stage of life.
    The interactive tool, called Your Better Life Index, allows the user "to see how countries perform according to the importance you give to each of the 11 topics - like education, environment, and so on - that contribute to well-being in OECD countries."
    The index will eventually include the OECD's six partner countries (Brazil, China, India, Indonesia, Russia and South Africa), add data, and incorporate new indicators, it says.

Australians are just too dumb to know any better.

Canada
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
      Australians are just too dumb to know any better.

Canada
      Jealousy is a curse.

Australia

Now get back in your igloo.

Comment

Australia: Like Americans only happier and not as fat.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
          Australia: Like Americans only happier and not as fat.
          Actually these days we're fatter

Comment

Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post
            Actually these days we're fatter
            I can't imagine how that's possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitschum View Post
              I can't imagine how that's possible.
              Sad but true. I don't actually see many of these obese people, I guess they're at home guiltily eating.

Comment

You can hardly go outside in Australia anyway. If you go out in the day you'll get skin cancer and die. If you go out at night you'll be kicked by a stray kangaroo and left to be eaten by spiders.

Comment

Had to look it up, but yeah you guys have a ways to go.

Obese (BMI>=30) Females

Australia, ages 18-24: 14.9 (2007-2008)
                  Australia, ages 25-34: 18.4 (-"-)

United States, ages 20-39: 34.0 (2007-2008)

Source: WHO

That's percentages by the way. Ridiculous.

Comment

BMI has a lot of flaws. It doesn't measure body composition.
                    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

For a bodybuilder maybe. For a third of American women? I don't think so.

Comment

Working...
                      X