MikeH, got a solution to your diaper problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MikeH, got a solution to your diaper problem

Changing a dirty diaper isn't a fun job. Eating a diaper is even less fun, but luckily there is a fungi that can do just that.

Oyster mushrooms, Pleurotus ostreatus, can devour 90% of a disposable diaper within two months, observed Alethia Vázquez-Morillas of the Autonomous Metropolitan University in Mexico City in the journal Waste Management.

What's more, the mushrooms grown on diapers are edible. Vázquez-Morillas has dined upon them herself.

“They are cleaner than most of the vegetables you can find in the market, at least in Mexico,” said Vázquez-Morillas in an interview with the Economist.

Disposable diapers normally take centuries to biodegrade in landfills. They are mostly made of cellulose, the tough material that plants use for structural support. In the airless netherworld of a landfill, cellulose can take 500 years to break down.

But oyster mushrooms thrive on cellulose. They are already grown on cellulose-rich materials like barley straw, coffee grounds, and even the left-overs from making tequila.

Mexico alone throws away 5 billion diapers a year, noted Vázquez-Morillas. When you consider the billions of diapers thrown away around the world, a huge waste management problem could be turned into a cheap supply of mushroom food.

But will people really eat mushrooms grown on Junior's diapers?

Vázquez-Morillas asserts they are safe, since the diapers are sterilized before use.

The diapers are steam sterilized before being inoculated with mushroom mycelium, the network of white threads that make up much of the fungus' structure. Steaming kills the bacterias and other fungi that could out-compete the oyster mushrooms for living space on the diapers. It should also knock-out creatures that cause disease in humans.

Unfortunately, the cost of steam cleaning could make the process economically impractical as far as growing mushrooms for market. But the value of breaking down diapers goes beyond the sale price of oyster mushrooms.

Landfills are filling up fast, and getting more expensive to build. Reducing the intake of garbage extends the life of the landfills already in existence. And it looks like mushrooms can help.

I don't know WTF you do in Spain but I just throw the used nappies in the bin. How to eat used nappies isn't a problem I need to solve.
    Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
    Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
    We've got both kinds

Comment

what, you don't eat your nappies? shocking!

next thing you're going to tell me is that you use toiletpaper instead of a bidet. barbarian!

Comment

My sister has a mushroom log in her garden which she bought at the Home Depot which actually grows a large quantity of those oyster mushrooms. It was basically a two foot long log with lots of holes drilled in it, she soaked in water for a day, and then you put these pellets in the drill holes. You just place the log in a shady spot in your garden where the sprinklers will get it wet once in a while and the mushrooms grow by themselves. It's so easy even my my sister (who seems to kill even potted plants) is able to do it.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoetstofzoetje View Post

next thing you're going to tell me is that you use toiletpaper instead of a bidet. barbarian!

Why would I wash my feet with toilet paper?
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Zoetstofzoetje View Post

I never liked those. The wet ass crack feeling wasn't nice so you ended up wiping any way plus half the time you'd get your underwear wet which sucks.
            Last edited by Dinner; June 15, 2011, 10:12.

Comment

it's not about your feet, it's about 'what you do after a number 2'

Comment

Never seen Crocodile Dundee?
                We've got both kinds

Comment

In Iraq one of the dumb grunts actually took a **** in the bidet because he didn't know what it was and thought it was another toilet. Stupid red necks.

I've had some of my own "dur" moments though. In Thailand their military based had water cisterns on the roof of each barracks building (so the sun would heat the water) and I honestly had never seen anything like it before nor did I have any idea how to use it. There were like six concrete water tanks about 3'x3' and I was like " I guess it's like one of those little Japanese bath tubs or something" and climbed in. After washing I got out and was drying off when the 1st SGT came up with a couple of other people and I noticed they all had large plastic bowls which they used to dunk in the water and then pour the water over their head so they could wash. I decided not to say anything to not look foolish but when the 1st SGT started asking why the water looked soapy and found a pubic hair floating in his water bowl I couldn't help but start laughing my ass off. He was pissed but everyone else thought it was hilarious. Live and learn, I guess.
                  Last edited by Dinner; June 15, 2011, 10:20.

Comment

Only the US Army would have ****ing bidets in the desert.
                    We've got both kinds

Comment

They were actually in all of Saddam's palace complexes and after the invasion the US turned those complexes into military bases since they were huge sprawling affairs, they had their own defensive walls, and because taking them from the dictator seemed better then taking land from private owners. Also Iraqi sewers suck. They couldn't afford metal or concrete pipe or even municipal sewer systems in most places so instead, even in Saddam's palaces, they just had terracotta pipes buried a foot or two under the ground which emptied into cisterns which had to be pumped out every week or two. The problem was if you flushed toilet paper down the toilet then it would stick to the terracotta walls of the pipes blocking the whole thing up. Of course there was no glue between the, not very deeply buried, terracotta pipe sections so they leaked raw sewage which you could smell and then when ever it rained the cisterns would over flow putting raw sewage all over the streets. Third world countries suck.

Comment

US Army, can't fight without a bidet.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

I quite like the Turkish toilets in that they have a spout at the back so you can wash your arse without needing a separate appliance.

Although those crazy Japanese toilets do that and far more...
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                            I quite like the Turkish toilets in that they have a spout at the back so you can wash your arse without needing a separate appliance.

Although those crazy Japanese toilets do that and far more...
                            happy ending?

Comment

Working...
                            X