Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Illinois is surviving teh attack of teh gay marriages.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor HC, by the time he's old enough marriage will be finished.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Well, if they won't let me wed my sister then gays can't get married either

Comment

Not likely. There's a gay marriage ban in Virginia's constitution. That'd be pretty tough to change, I think it requires a 55% majority referendum and two-thirds of both houses of the legislature.

It's also not likely because gay marriage doesn't ruin marriage. Though I don't honestly see why anyone cares whether it's called a "civil union" or not. There is in fact a very non-arbitrary distinction between a gay couple and a straight couple, and I see no problem with using different terms for different things.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

In other news.

OMAHA, Neb. -- Omaha area ministers will publicly unveil a proclamation on Wednesday calling for an end to religious and civil discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Rev. Eric Elnes, pastor of Countryside Community Church, said the proclamation was created because, “we were just fed up with the popular notion that the Christian point of view is anti-gay.”

Elnes, who leads an Omaha church of 1,500 members at 87th Street and Pacific Street, said more than 100 ordained Christian ministers have signed the proclamation, including leaders from Lutheran, Episcopalian, United Church of Christ, Methodist and Presbyterian churches.

The ministers will join together on Wednesday at 6 p.m. at the Bob Kerrey Pedestrian Bridge to publicly unveil the proclamation and show full acceptance of gay, lesbian, bi-sexual and transgender people.

“We believe homosexuality is not a sin. It’s not a birth defect or a choice. God created people this way. And if God created them this way, they need to be honored for who they are, and fully included in church life and wider society,” said Elnes, whose words are reflected in the document.

Elnes said after sharing his point of view, he’s learned that many Christians hold the same beliefs, but have not openly expressed them. That’s the reason the proclamation also includes an apology to the gay community.

“We felt it was important for us to apologize for the times when we ourselves have been silent. Some of us have not always been on this side of the issue,” Elnes said.

Elnes said he unveiled a similar proclamation while working with another church three years ago in Arizona. He said nine Catholic priests were ordered to remove their names from the proclamation or be removed from the priesthood.

Amy O’Connor, a board member of Omaha’s Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays group, PFLAG, said the proclamation is significant. “It’s pretty huge,” she said.

O’Connor heads the telephone helpline for the group and said without acceptance from family, church and the community, gay people often live isolated, sad lives.

O’Connor, whose 21-year-old son is gay, said as a Catholic, she’s had to deal with conflicting feelings and teachings about the acceptance of gays in the church.

“It’s not an issue of sexual orientation or gender identity. God loves everybody,” said O’Connor.

O’Connor’s son, Matthew Macchietto, said Elne’s efforts are bold. “It really does take one person or a small group of people to make a big impact. In 10, or 20 years, I think people will think, why wasn’t it always this way?” Macchietto said.

His partner, Brad Chapin, said issuing the proclamation is, "the Christian thing to do.”

“The whole point of Christianity is love and compassion,” said Chapin. Elnes said in ministering to gay, lesbian and transgendered people, he’s learned that he must first convince them that God doesn’t hate them before he can share the message that God loves them.

“It’s very clear and very simple. We want to be open to all people,” said Elnes.

Read more: http://www.ketv.com/news/28214658/detail.html#ixzz1PJMLeeYe
          Ministers Apologize to Gay Community
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I won't hold my breath waiting for the RCC to jump on board.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

no ****

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                Not likely. There's a gay marriage ban in Virginia's constitution. That'd be pretty tough to change, I think it requires a 55% majority referendum and two-thirds of both houses of the legislature.

It's also not likely because gay marriage doesn't ruin marriage. Though I don't honestly see why anyone cares whether it's called a "civil union" or not. There is in fact a very non-arbitrary distinction between a gay couple and a straight couple, and I see no problem with using different terms for different things.
                So we shouldn't have made slaves citizens, just created a 'subcitizen' category, with the same rights, and make all slaves 'subcitizens' then
                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post

Interestingly in the UK there were campaigns from straight couples to be allowed to have a "Civil Partnership" not a marriage, as well as for Civil Unions to be called Marriage officially.

The straight people wanting a Civil Union was because of all the negative religious baggage associated with a marriage, but there are some subtle legal differences too.
                  Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

You see? Straight people are human too.

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
                      why do we not allow polygamy... I want to marry man and women. Man to work for me and women to have sex and children with - that would be freedom... what we have right now is monogamous oppression
                      Then fight for it.
                      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                      X