Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a newer, "Freelancer"-like open-world space trading/combat game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a newer, "Freelancer"-like open-world space trading/combat game?

I've been playing Freelancer recently, and despite the repetitive nature of the gameplay, I find it rather enjoyable. Is there a newer, better game along these same lines?
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

not really afaik

Comment

i know there's a new version of elite, called oolite which is kind of cool. does take a fair amount of time to play though.
      "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

When in doubt, play Dwarf Fortress
        Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
        I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

eve is pretty good. its an mmo but its fits the "open-world space trading/combat game" perfectly.

Comment

EVE sounds good, but I've no desire to spend $10.month in addition to the purchase price.

I just stumbled across this X3 game, is it any good?

Comment

X2 is good, don't know about X3.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
                I've been playing Freelancer recently, and despite the repetitive nature of the gameplay, I find it rather enjoyable. Is there a newer, better game along these same lines?
                I LOVE FREELANCER. It is seriously my favorite game.
                If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Just beat the main campaign for the first time. Really fun game. Hopefully there will be something similar to it with more modern graphics, less repetitive gameplay, and a more robust economic model.

Comment

As a side note re: Freelancer...

I ****ing LOVE the way-over-the-top German accents. Takes me back to No One Lives Forever.

Comment

EVE is horribly dull. You don't fly your ship or fire the weapons.
                      Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Working...
                      X