Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A third of all Germans would sell sex. Would you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A third of all Germans would sell sex. Would you?

I haven't started a thread in a while so I thought I would give this one a go.

Besides your own depravity you may also discuss the evils of capitalism in that everything really does seem to be about the money. Could prostitution be a solution for the PIGS countries' young unemployed, or this is a strictly German phenomenon?

Third of Berlin university students consider sex work

(Reuters Life!) - One in three university students in the German capital would consider sex work as a means to finance their education, a study from the Berlin Studies Center said Wednesday.

The figure in Berlin, where prostitution is legal, was higher than students surveyed in Paris (29.2 percent) and in Kiev (18.5 percent), the three cities the report looked at.

The study found some 4 percent of the 3,200 Berlin students surveyed said they had already done some form of sex work, which includes prostitution, erotic dancing and Internet shows.

The number of men who said they would consider sex work was about equal to the number of woman, the study found.

The results surprised the study's authors, who said they undertook the study because student prostitution had been often reported but little was known about its relationship to education policy.

"The main motivation of students to turn to prostitution were the financial incentives, namely the high hourly wages," Eva Blumenschein, one of the study's authors and a 26-year-old student at Berlin's Humboldt University, told Reuters.

Blumenschein said recent educational reforms aimed at speeding up students' time at university may play a role in them seeking out sex work.

"It's possible that because educational reforms have increased student workloads, they have less time to earn money," she said. "Coupled with higher student fees, in this instance, leads students into prostitution."

Thirty percent of students working in the sex industry were in debt, the study found.

That compared with 18 percent of students who said they would consider sex work who were in debt.
    Yes. Done it.
    20.00%
    Yes.
    20.00%
    Yes, but only to women/men I'd find attractive anyway.
    10.00%
    Yes, but only if I really needed the money.
    20.00%
    Yes, but I would never date a woman/man who'd done it.
    0.00%
    Yes, but I would disown my daughter/sister/mother if they did it.
    0.00%
    No, but I secretly dream about it.
    0.00%
    No, I give it away for free.
    30.00%

I had a female student at UMD who sold her eggs...

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Mine or someone else's?
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

If the remuneration is good, why not? Beats whacking off and is a lot more lucrative.

Although I think attributing this statistic to "all Germans" is a little disingenuous...a third of all Berlin university students, yes, but I think you'll find the demographic of Germany as a whole to be remarkably different
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
          I had a female student at UMD who sold her eggs...

JM
          were they golden?
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
            If the remuneration is good, why not? Beats whacking off and is a lot more lucrative.

Although I think attributing this statistic to "all Germans" is a little disingenuous...a third of all Berlin university students, yes, but I think you'll find the demographic of Germany as a whole to be remarkably different
            Yeay maybe I did go overboard with the "all". I should have just let it say Germans and leave the rest ambiguous. I'm not a Daily Mail journalist yet.

Comment

You're not, you've got to throw in more talk about paedophiles, bloody immigrants and how they are all bad for our house prices
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I think I can fit in the immigrant angle, they're Germans - bloody Krauts - after all, and the house prices too, because who would want to live next to a German brothel? But I'm not sure that I can cover the paedophile angle. I mean there's no Belgians mentioned anywhere. Won't homosexual cannibals do just as well?

Comment

Yeah, I think that would fit pretty well into the Daily Mail's MO...

My favourite Daily Mail headline ever was "Radioactive Paedophile on the Loose"
                  Speaking of Erith:

Comment

If you're still studying at 26 something is really wrong.

Their exam system is pretty messed up. I heard students there can postpone their exams if they want to. Some of them end up at 28 with a ****load of exams to finish (and I've heard this from someone who experienced that situation).
                    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                      Yeah, I think that would fit pretty well into the Daily Mail's MO...

My favourite Daily Mail headline ever was "Radioactive Paedophile on the Loose"
                      That made me curious and I found this : link - really don't hope dfg reads it - he would panic - oh, wait, I'm tempted
                      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

It's the free market at work. As long as health checks are in place, there are no pimps or coercion, and people are doing it of their own free will then I'm ok with it. I wouldn't want my daughter to do it and I wouldn't have a relationship with a woman who did it but that, like everything else, is a personal choice.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Humboldt University= Liberal Arts
                          'nuff said.
                          Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Of course the problem is when you ask a question like this in the abstract you aren't thinking about the type of people who will purchase sex. Getting paid for sex sounds cool until you realize that your client weighs 300 pounds.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It's a public secret in the NL that quite a few female students offer their graces to finance their lifestyle. Mind you, I said lifestyle, not studies - the government pays 95% of tuition, and pays students a small 'salary' for studying rather than working.

Comment

Working...
                              X