Should I TROGLODITE myself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I TROGLODITE myself?

I will have to work 45 years (under current prices/wages, interest not included) to buy a house for me and my family to live. To rent is not cheaper.

Whats the point with this system?

Better to turn troglodite and live in a hole in the ground, or to turn into a caveman and to live in a cliff cave?

Try community housing. Since house prices are too expensive for a single person, try acquiring a building or a block as a collective (maybe 10-20 people). Gets you better conditions for loans, and if it's newly built, you can combine several amenities in one place, so you save a fair share of the burden you would otherwise have to get separately. (gardens, washing rooms, perhaps a garage and what not)

Easier said than done of course, and I'm not sure if Portuguese people are ready for it
    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Community housing is on the table.
      But the BIG question still looms: Why are the basics so darn expensive that your entire life work wages are not enough?

Hope, we just need hope.

I'm not talking of buying a yatch, for Gods sake. I'm just trying to make a living.

Comment

Move.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

yes do what many other portuguese people do and go to northern europe or brasil. if you have skills there are good opportunities in places like angola and mozambique too.
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Find a rich girl and move in with her.

Comment

I think Cockney has the best advice. I noticed that in Brazil that if you have the skills you can have a pretty nice lifestyle, and you've got the language. If you don't have anything to sell yourself there...then you're screwed alas...

Nice guys too, I've enjoyed my time working in Brazil and with Brazilians.

In fact Cockney, there is a massively high probability I will be back in Brazil later this year and next year in Sao Paulo. In fact I had another offer for a project in Sao Paulo but I am detained with another project. All lines seem to converge on Brazil for me at the moment too in my sector. I should improve my Portuguese
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

This is my people, my country, my fight. Going elsewhere does not solve the systemic problem.

I need to build a solution here, for the future. To go out and build a life abroad can solve (if everything goes OK) my personal problem, but will not work for my sisters, my friends, my co-workers.

I dont want to leave. I just want a fair solution.
                Why everything must be so difficult?

- - -
                As a second tough:

Globalisation is not the globalisation of wealth, is rather the globalisation of poverty, so that a few ones can get richer and richer and richer... For what purpose?

Comment

So they can get richer and richer and richer. You answered your own question.
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

there are a fair few abandoned villages in spain (i don't know about portugal). you could get some like minded people together, take over the buildings in one of these and have your own idyllic, rural, self-sufficient hipie commune.
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by C0ckney View Post
                      there are a fair few abandoned villages in spain (i don't know about portugal). you could get some like minded people together, take over the buildings in one of these and have your own idyllic, rural, self-sufficient hipie commune.
                      I walked that road. Once the kids get 6, they need an education. Kiss goodbye to your own idyllic, rural, self-sufficient hipie commune. . The rat race steps in. Kids DO need a standard education.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuga View Post
                        I will have to work 45 years (under current prices/wages, interest not included) to buy a house for me and my family to live. To rent is not cheaper.

Whats the point with this system?

Better to turn troglodite and live in a hole in the ground, or to turn into a caveman and to live in a cliff cave?
                        What have you done to make yourself marketable to potential employers?
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                          What have you done to make yourself marketable to potential employers?
                          Thats a good question! In a mass market driven economy, I'm useless: I'm no pop star, I dont dance, I dont play football. I'm just working trough my PhD on Electrical Engineering, I studied at IST (Portugal) and in Carnegie Mellon (USA), and I think I got it all wrong. I should have been a carpenter, or a plumber. At least they earn a lot more.

And thats the all point, so it seems...

- - -
                          In the end, who wants to be used?

Comment

when I was out in Moab Utah ~20 years ago somebody had enlarged some holes in boulders to live in. They were kinda a tourist attraction, climate control was excellent and the rocks were elevated so wildlife had limited access. Trog away, dude...

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                              Climate control was excellent and the rocks were elevated so wildlife had limited access. Trog away, dude...

Best advice, so far!

Comment

Working...
                              X