• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry Honey, I have a sales meeting I need to attend

20 May 2011 Last updated at 07:33 ET
    By Stephen Evans

BBC News, Berlin

One of the biggest insurance companies in the world held a party for salesmen where they were rewarded with the services of prostitutes.

Munich Re is the world's biggest re-insurer - in other words, the company acts as an insurance company for other insurance companies.

One of its divisions, Ergo, told the BBC that the party had taken place to reward salesmen in 2007.

A spokesman said the people who organised it had since left.

The gathering was held at a thermal baths in the Hungarian capital Budapest as a reward to particularly successful salesmen.

'Whatever they liked'

There were about 100 guests and 20 prostitutes were hired.

A German business newspaper said the prostitutes had worn colour-coded arm-bands designating their availability, and the women had their arms stamped after each service rendered.

According to Handelsblatt, quoting an unnamed participant, guests were able to take the women to four-poster beds at the spa "and do whatever they liked".

"After each such encounter the women were stamped on the lower arm in order to keep track of how often each woman was frequented," the paper quoted the man as saying.

"The women wore red and yellow wrist bands. One lot were hostesses, the others would fulfil your every wish.

"There were also women with white wrist bands. They were reserved for board members and the very best sales reps."

A spokesman for Ergo told the BBC that the party had happened, but said it was not the usual way of rewarding their employees.

The company said it had introduced a new code of conduct.

"We've taken all the right steps to prevent it happening again," he said. "It was a mistake but we are very sure that it was a unique event.

"The new people of the sales organisation introduced a very personal commitment that these things should not happen again."
    Capitalism

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13454160
    "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Lol...just read it yesterday. The commentaries people post on news sites etc suggest there are two basic types of reaction:
    a) "OMGOMG" or
    b) "Wow cool"....
    Blah

Comment

(1) I'm surprised that this wasn't made public sooner.

(2) What, no saleswomen?

(3) The m/f ratio seems unfavorable.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I thought (3) as well. Who wants sloppy 5ths?
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'll pass, thanks.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Gee I've worked for some of the largest insurance companies in the world and gone to many conferences. Alas, none had hookers.

I can see this happening back in the 70s-80s-or 90s but 2007. Oh my.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The company said it had introduced a new code of conduct.

"We've taken all the right steps to prevent it happening again," he said.

the code of conduct is about releasing the information to the press and

the leak getting into the news will not be happening again...
              Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
              GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro View Post
                Lol...just read it yesterday. The commentaries people post on news sites etc suggest there are two basic types of reaction:
                a) "OMGOMG" or
                b) "Wow cool"....
                I had both reactions.
                "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

At the company I work for, spouses are invited to the reward trips.....
                  “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

That has interesting potential...
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by pchang View Post
                      At the company I work for, spouses are invited to the reward trips.....
                      What color wrist band do they get?
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Why is this news? This happens all the time in Japan.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post
                            What color wrist band do they get?
                            Green! Some of those trophy wives are quite impressive.
                            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                            X