Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it so hard to be a part-time bank teller (or to get any job)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MikeH View Post
    Did you say hi Lancer!
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Yeah the job is a joke how easy it is. The convoluted hiring process is wholly unnecessary since there's nothing to the job. And I'm averaging 3-4 referrals/appointments a 4-hour day so if I maintain that pace, I'll blow the gold standard for referrals out of the water.

I almost feel like the job is a joke. Fast food managers have it waaaaaaaay harder.
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• I'm glad you seem to be excelling at it. I do hope that the attitude about it that you show here isn't the same as you're demonstrating on the job. There's a fine line between gung ho spirit and obnoxious jerk.
        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post

I got 7 in two days. This should be easy

As an aside, only one of the dozen personal bankers at this branch even approached me on my first day. Needless to say, I'm sending her all my referrals and I see no reason to even acknowledge any of the other bankers who, even after three days, none of them have said a word to me. Guess what, bankers. You're not getting my referrals then
          hmmm-- Stupid move--

I don't care if some of them were unfriendly or unwelcoming or whatever . . . essentially as the new guy, you decided on your first or second day with whom you want to be aligned?? Sorry but spreading around the referrals (particularly ones that look like they might be juicy good) could have made you a bunch of friends instead of just one -- If she turns out to be an undesirable linkage-- OUCH for you

Longer term, after you had the lay of the land, I could understand making such choices but not right from the outset. One of the people you are cutting yourself off from might be your future manager-- or the brother of your future marine training sargeant.

No wonder you cannot get a girl-- you were proud of being a dumbass
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Alby, don't make enemies, introduce yourself to the other bank tellers
            I need a foot massage

Comment

• Yes, it always helps to make as many friends as possible so if the direction of the wind changes, you can flow with it.
              One place I worked, the VP that hired me was fired a week after he hired me. I hadn't been there long enough yet to make enough friends and find who could protect me. Of course they immediately started erasing all knowledge of his existence. I left there soon after since the writing on the wall was quite bold.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• I'm not at a job to make friends. Are you?
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• You sound like a fun person to be around. No wonder you're covered in women.

Comment

I'm not at a job to make friends. Are you?
                    It seems to be pretty important to any job I have had.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• Work can be many things, not just hard slog. I work hard but I am always friendly and outgoing. It's nice to work in a good environment, especially when there is goodwill towards yourself - buys you some manoeuvring room if something goes wrong in your life because people will like you and help you out. And trust me, if you are some unknown misery, no one will give you anything. Although metrics regarding your performance don't harm, you need to be personable and be known and be visible and known for being a good guy.

rah and the guys above have a lot of experience with this in their positions. I didn't get to where I am by just being technically proficient, a part of my job involves getting my client to like and respect me. These guys are not wrong. I'd take some notice if I were you.

Now, where is that facepalm smiley. I need that smiley just for you Albert. You and no one else.
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Bull****, I know from low-level management that having friends at the job is a disaster. It was my one constant reprimand that nearly got me terminated at Sodexo.

You don't want friends at the job... especially when you compete for promotions with them, receive the promotions they don't get, and they become your subordinates... or, when they start out as subordinates but you get too cozy with them and they start leveraging your friendship with them against you.

I have enough experience to know you don't make friends at the job

Comment

Bull****, I know from low-level management that having friends at the job is a disaster. It was my one constant reprimand that nearly got me terminated at Sodexo.

You don't want friends at the job... especially when you compete for promotions with them, receive the promotions they don't get, and they become your subordinates... or, when they start out as subordinates but you get too cozy with them and they start leveraging your friendship with them against you.

I have enough experience to know you don't make friends at the job

Albie proving once again that he doesn't have a clue.

I have more than 20 years in the workforce but let your own experience guide you. After all you have a demonstrated ability to succeed in your interpersonal relationships. no ???

Oh and I am not talking about becoming pals with your co-workers-- I am talking about being a generally good guy so if asked, pretty much everyone thinks you are a good guy.-- they become "work friends"---
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Maybe friends on the job is bad for fastfood. Or even for restaurant.

For me, I would say they are crucial.

Good point Flubber, they don't need to become weekends friends/evening friends (although the ability to go out for dinner or a beer at least occasionally is important).

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• That good guy thing is a check just from me being me.

It's the friends business... joking around... hanging out... knowing personal business... etc. that can only lead to a disaster.

I challenge rah or anyone else to dispute that that stuff won't lead to problems or at least a constant walking on egg-shells high-wire act, especially when dealing with friends as subordinates.

Comment

• Well of course don't let it get in the way of your work for christ's sake...but work isn't just 8 hours a day pinned to your job - we all need breathers and I certainly need plenty of coffee Within reason, I'm not talking about turning the place into a social venue. But as this is demonstrating, you're hearing what you want to hear, and will only do what you want to do.
                                Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Working...
                                X