Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it so hard to be a part-time bank teller (or to get any job)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
    Not speaking to your own mother is apparently more important than landing a job you want.
    She told me when I graduated college that she could not help me when I asked if she had any connects.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
      Not speaking to your own mother is apparently more important than landing a job you want.
      I also wonder why they lived in a ****ing ****hole if she worked in a bank.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
        I also wonder why they lived in a ****ing ****hole if she worked in a bank.

Addicted to Wall Street, maybe? I have no idea. We lived in extremely modest conditions... one bedroom apartments, no heat or a/c, etc.

My father has an SJD from GW Law, by the way. But he works overseas so that might explain why he had no money.
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; May 28, 2011, 23:35.
          Order of the Fly
          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

• Originally posted by AAHZ View Post
            How would somebody add a job to a resume after working there less than one month... hmm. By days maybe?
            I started the last week of April... I receive my last paycheck the first week of June... I worked there April-June

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
              Jobs are a good start.

I took advantage of my school's internship program, which easily got me into IBM. It was easy from then on. Now I've got friends working for Google, MS, Apple, all of the big investment banks, and tons of random smaller companies across North America. That gives me access to positions that are not necessarily advertised for publicly, and I get a foot in the door with recommendations.

Job-hop and be charming.
              And now I have Asher to help me land a bigger and better job.
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• Originally posted by AAHZ View Post
                How would somebody add a job to a resume after working there less than one month... hmm. By days maybe?
                More to the point, why would you add that to your resume? Seriously. I'm not trying to be an ass, I really want to know.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

• Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                  More to the point, why would you add that to your resume? Seriously. I'm not trying to be an ass, I really want to know.
                  This isn't an ass point. This is a good point.
                  "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                  'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; May 28, 2011, 23:34.
                    Order of the Fly

Comment

• You sent that email basically saying the business they are in sucks ?

Unbelievable
                      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

• Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                        Do I write a new one like that one and send it with an explanation of apologies for any arrogance in my initial heat of the moment letter?

Holy crap, YOU ACTUALLY SENT THAT!?
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Monk View Post

Holy crap, YOU ACTUALLY SENT THAT!?
                          If only we could see their reaction to it
                          Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; May 28, 2011, 23:34.
                            Order of the Fly

Comment

• Never burn your bridges.
                              On my first real job after graduating I had a disagreement with my boss and quit. I'm happy I didn't tell him what I actually thought of him or the job and left on good terms. After I quit I worked as a consultant for them for few years. About 15 years after that I again worked for them as a consultant. About 10 years age I joined them again as an IT Director and have been working here ever since.
                              You never know what the future holds.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• albert, you made an arse of yourself, but it really doesn't matter. you didn't want to work there anyway and all you've done is ensured that you won't be able in the future.

that's not to say that quiting wasn't a dick move, but you shouldn't beat yourself up over the way you did it.
                                "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Working...
                                X