X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beheaded

As it's the beheading season at Apolyton

or maybe not... this guy could be stoned instead as well

While we talked, there was a constant click from his wooden prayer beads. Muslim men across the Arab world, and beyond, carry beads.

Ostensibly they are a device for prayer. Each bead, as it passes through the fingers, stands for one of the 99 sacred names of God in Islam.

But more often people toy with them absent-mindedly, even swinging them around carelessly on one finger while chatting on the phone. Nobody gives them a second glance.

The man smiled conspiratorially, leant over and showed me his prayer beads. "If they saw this," he said, "I'd be in big trouble."

I looked down. In his palm, nestled in the coil of beads, was a small silver crucifix. He closed his fist, leant back and carried on playing with what I had now realised was a Catholic rosary.

Apostasy - that is, the rejection of Islam by a Muslim - carries the death penalty in Saudi.

I looked around. People were browsing the duty-free. Normal life carried on. Nobody noticed.

"I'm a Muslim, of course," said the man. "The beads are from my Christian lover in Beirut."

I looked at him, amazed. Saudi law allows adulterers to be punished with death by stoning.

This man was carrying his personal protest with him in plain view. And he had chosen to reveal his act of rebellion to an audience of one in an airport.

We spent perhaps another five minutes together. He told me about his family, then he got up, said goodbye, and went off to catch his flight, briefcase in one hand, rosary in the other. He never asked me my name. I never asked him his.

in the name of severe punishment being used as a good deterrent.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

shame

Comment

Originally posted by OneFootInTheGrave View Post
      in the name of severe punishment being used as a good deterrent.
      Moral relativist drivel. Not all behaviors to be deterred are born equal.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

What is an equal behaviour??? If you found another Saudi guy hiding the crucifix in the hand an equal behaviour... if he is doing it for a woman in Italy, would that be equal? How about deterrence for murder, theft, drug use or copyright violations...

This is just one regular guy doing something seriously illegal wilfully, and exposing himself for no good reason other than personal protest... and it is a good example when a really draconian measure on something ridiculous and easily avoidable does not produce desired results. Deterrence fail.

While you cannot argue a "statistically meaningful" conclusion from sample of one... it is still a good indication as any of how people act regardless of culture or other social rules, which I would reckon is very normal. Even though the punishment is a lot worse than for burglary, drug use, distribution and pretty much all other crimes including murder (at least in western Europe), which are likewise not exactly deterred by punishment.

Punishment has a more regulatory function of taking criminals out of the street and this is the only useful aspect of it (unless people in jail actually study and make something out of themselves while inside, which while not impossible, is quite poorly managed by current penal system).
        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Saudi Arabia disgusts me.
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
          X