Building a home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
    Honestly, for the moment,your pics looks like somethnig a hotel would use in an add - hope it will look better after some personal stylishing
    Well, it's no surprise. It's completely vacant of personal belongings, just like a hotel.

Unfortunately it's all downhill from here. Neither of us are stylish. Plus things like art, decorations, etc will be done over a long time. We don't have anything right now.

How many hoodies can you hang on that tie rack?
    I do own suits and ties, but mostly because I go to a lot of gay weddings here in Canada.

And there is the odd time I need to wear them when I represent the company elsewhere.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Your hardwood floors look ugly, why aren't the planks colour matched?
      Graffiti in a public toilet
      Do not require skill or wit
      Among the **** we all are poets
      Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

• [/]that's how we'd do it in Philly![/]
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• I like the full height mirrors. How much extra did those run?
          Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
          1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by Donegeal View Post
            I like the full height mirrors. How much extra did those run?
            I like how they look as well, but I wouldn't want to clean them.

Does the house come with the closet/storage shelving, or is that something you've arranged separately?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hot Mustard View Post

Does the house come with the closet/storage shelving, or is that something you've arranged separately?
              Can't be certain if its still this way but when I built there was a standard of shelving that would come with the house and the amount of the allowance for it was built into the purchase price-- If you wanted something different or more, you just pay the extra

My understanding is that builders are pretty anal about not letting in other contractors so typically its only their approved subs-- If its in the house now it came through his builder
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• That stuff is easy to put together. I'd leave it bare then build it exactly the way I want it and for 1/3 the cost.
                Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Asher, this is a good and an interesting thread.

Thank You for creating it

Comment

• Originally posted by onodera View Post
                    Your hardwood floors look ugly, why aren't the planks colour matched?

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not...
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not...
                      I'm completely serious. Why are some planks so much darker than others?

Comment

I like the full height mirrors. How much extra did those run?
                        Only ~$50 per mirror. Money well spent.

Originally posted by Hot Mustard View Post
                        You don't typically need to clean the top part very often. Even then, we've got a cleaning lady.

It came with basic, but we upgraded. We got to design the shelving for each closet so it had what we wanted. We could've upgraded to "solid" shelving (instead of wire), but I thought it looked even worse and was much more expensive. So we got narrow-spaced wire.

Comment

• Originally posted by onodera View Post
                          I'm completely serious. Why are some planks so much darker than others?
                          This is how natural hardwood always is. You get a random assortment of wood tones from the same wood type. The colour tones were also great because they tie in the cabinets. This is birch, FWIW.

I almost always have seen natural hardwood like this. If you want a consistent color, why not just go with lino? Wood that is stained also makes it a more consistent colour, but I hate stained hardwood...mostly because it shows every nick and scratch and dent so much more.

Comment

That stuff is easy to put together. I'd leave it bare then build it exactly the way I want it and for 1/3 the cost.
                            It was pretty cheap as it was. And I did get to build it exactly the way I wanted.

Comment

• We almost upgraded to tiger wood (not Tiger Woods...) which is very thick-planked and has some pretty interesting patterns and colour differentiations. Only reason we didn't is it changes colour quite dramatically over time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                                This is how natural hardwood always is. You get a random assortment of wood tones from the same wood type. The colour tones were also great because they tie in the cabinets. This is birch, FWIW.

I almost always have seen natural hardwood like this. If you want a consistent color, why not just go with lino? Wood that is stained also makes it a more consistent colour, but I hate stained hardwood...mostly because it shows every nick and scratch and dent so much more.
                                I might take a picture of our natural hardwood floor tomorrow. It's rather old, but the planks are all more or less of the same tone. Your floor must be yellow birch; common birch or paper birch do not have such a marked difference between heartwood and sapwood; even unstained.

Comment

Working...
                                X