Building a home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
    I did my "pre-paint" home walkthrough/inspection with the site super yesterday. No issues. Very impressed with how thorough they are quality control wise. They also talked about all of the issues they did face and how they were resolved.

I asked about the near-term scheduling: the next 5 days are full-out painting. After that, counters and lighting fixtures come in. Then the flooring and masonry.

The painting can take a while. They can get a few coats on some walls easily enoughbuit there are other spots that require ladders or a lot of fine edge work that takes the time.

AS for quality I agree with Hot Mustard that the fact that you are there constantly means they know they have to be thorough. When we built we were there almost every night--

I know on quality I was impressed with my builder too-- I still remember when they made our flooring contractor redo the tiles in our entryway and small bathroom in the battle of the lazer levels--- There ws nothing apprent to us with the naked eye but our siter super was adamant and they did redo the tiles
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeH View Post
      Who is Hot Mustard?!

Some guy from Dijon.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Possession date has been moved up: January 6th @ 12:00pm.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• When's the party?
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• When's the break in orgy?
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

• So as the date approaches, I've started my research and purchases on things. I'm pretty obsessive when it comes to research, so I spent about 6 hours online reading reviews and threads from avsforum.com about all kinds of speakers, then I went to a couple of the high end home theatre shops here and sampled.

I've identified and purchased new speakers for my main TV: Definitive Technology ProCinema 800: http://www.definitivetech.com/Produc...20800%20System

Supposed to be outstanding quality for its price.

The TV I'm leaning towards is this one: Sharp AQUOS 70" 1080p 240Hz 3D LED SmartTV (LC70LE735U). I'm actually not going to use the 3D or "SmartTV" parts, but the size and quality are precisely what I want. This I've not purchased yet, since the price has been steady for months. I'm hoping that there will be a sale before I move in. Plus it's kinda big to hold on to...
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Week 18: Trim painting complete.

Pretty boring week. They painted three coats on the trim elements (mantle, railings, baseboards, doors, etc).

Click image for larger version

Name:	House Construction 006.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	9092186

Name:	House Construction 008.jpg
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	9092187

Name:	House Construction 010.jpg
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	9092188

Name:	House Construction 013.jpg
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	9092189

Name:	House Construction 016.jpg
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	9092190

Name:	House Construction 017.jpg
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	9092191

Name:	House Construction 018.jpg
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	9092192

Name:	House Construction 020.jpg
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	9092193

Comment

• Is this an actual 240hz TV? Can you feed it 1080 x 240fps signal from a pc?
                  It probably isn't. Even if it supports 120hz that would still be impresive. Size and quality
                  Quendelie axan!

Comment

• No, it's not a real 240Hz TV. I couldn't find any in the 70" size.

It's 120Hz with 120Hz backlight strobing.

Comment

• Considering that movies are around 30 frames per second and consoles like the xbox 360 usually cap framerate at 60 fps and the human eye has a capture rate of about 12 images per second, why would you ever need 240 hz?
                      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• 240Hz is for 2 120Hz streams (3D).

The biggest advantage of 120Hz is 24, 30, and 60 all evenly divide into it.

This means you don't have the 3:2 pulldown, where to get 24fps films on your 60fps screen it converts 24fps to 30fps then doubles the frames. This means some frames are shown more than others. This means motion isn't fluid, and you can especially notice this on scrolling text.

Most higher end sets also do interpolation, so it'll take frames 1 & 2 then insert a frame inbetween that is "the middle" of the other two.

Comment

• Right, I understood why you would benefit from 120 Hz, but 240 Hz seemed pointless--thank you for explaining.
                          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Week 19: Garage door, granite & quartz counters, walls painted, and tile

Great week for progress on the house. Unfortunately my camera is pretty ****ty so the colours aren't fully accurate. Some are overly yellow, others overexposed, others too dark. But you get the picture.

Week 19: Garage door has arrived. Only thing missing now is the stone work.

Name:	House Construction 002.jpg
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	9092232

Week 19: Granite counters in the kitchen installed. On top of the counter is the backsplash going in the kitchen.

Name:	House Construction 003.jpg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	9092233

Week 19: Granite counters in the kitchen installed. Light fixtures mostly installed.

Name:	House Construction 008.jpg
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	9092234

Week 19: In the half-bath on the main floor, the quartz counter and undermount sink installed. The backsplash is also in there.

Name:	House Construction 009.jpg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	9092235

Week 19: Lighting fixtures in.

Name:	House Construction 012.jpg
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	9092236

Week 19: Granite counters, lighting fixtures.

Name:	House Construction 016.jpg
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	9092237

Week 19: In the main bath upstairs, quartz counter & some of the backsplash is in.

Name:	House Construction 019.jpg
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	9092238

Week 19: In the main bath upstairs, quartz counter & some of the backsplash is in. Also some tile, sans grout.

Name:	House Construction 020.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	9092239

Week 19: Tile, sans grout, in the main bath.

Name:	House Construction 022.jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	9092240

Week 19: Main bath.

Name:	House Construction 023.jpg
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	9092241

Week 19: This stone tile will be around the fireplace upstairs in the bonus room.

Name:	House Construction 024.jpg
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	9092242

Week 19: Bonus room.

Name:	House Construction 025.jpg
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	9092243

Name:	House Construction 026.jpg
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	9092244

Name:	House Construction 027.jpg
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	9092245

Week 19: Master bedroom.

Name:	House Construction 032.jpg
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	9092246

Week 19: Mast ensuite with some of the tile in, and the quartz counters with undermount sinks. The tile will also be done against the tub, and a backsplash will be going in as well.

Name:	House Construction 035.jpg
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	9092247

Week 19: Mast ensuite with some of the tile in.

Name:	House Construction 037.jpg
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	9092248

Week 19: Mast ensuite with some of the tile in, and the quartz counter with undermount sink.

Name:	House Construction 039.jpg
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	9092249

Week 19: Master bedroom looking into the ensuite.

Name:	House Construction 041.jpg
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	9092250

Week 19: View of the kitchen & nook coming down the stairs.

Name:	House Construction 044.jpg
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	9092251

Week 19: Kitchen.

Name:	House Construction 046.jpg
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	9092252

Week 19: Kitchen.

Name:	House Construction 048.jpg
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	9092253

Week 19: Outside view of the house w/ garage door.

Name:	House Construction 052.jpg
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	9092254

Comment

• Beat the snow!
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• Yeah, I'm happy about the timing. I'm told it doesn't really matter too much, aside from slipping the schedule somewhat. But I feel sorry for the neighbours who are just having their foundation poured now.

Also, we did 7 hours of furniture shopping yesterday. Bought a bedroom set & kitchen table set and tried many sofas/recliners for the other rooms...but didn't buy anything else yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X