No announcement yet.

Building a home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In North Vancouver it is quite common for houses (including brand new builds) to have a separate septic system for unauthorized basement suites, which I find silly and maddening - everyone knows the suites are there, why bother with pretending and running an additional system?

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
      Why is the deck railing metal? Even around here everyone used wood because stained or painted wood looks better, and less cheap, then chinzy metal railing.
      It's aluminum. It's zero maintenance and lasts forever. I actually hate the look of wood railings, especially after a couple years when they become weathered. Worst of all, I hate painting.

There will be zero exposed wood on the house when it's complete.

BTW, wood railings are cheaper...and IMO they look cheaper.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
        Your own propane tank? Of course you have your own propane tanks.

We've got natural gas lines here, but no propane line for housing.

As I've said, district heating makes zero sense for detached housing. District heating outside of densely populated downtown cores sounds like a quaint anachronism more than a trait of modern cities.

I have a really hard time seeing how it's more efficient to pipe heated air dozens of kilometers than it is to locally have a 95%+ efficiency natural gas furnace.
        Not heated air, heated water. You can't reliably heat air.

Propane tank? Check. Septic tank? Check. Waiting for someone from the suburbs to tell me they have their own well. And a diesel power generator.
        Graffiti in a public toilet
        Do not require skill or wit
        Among the **** we all are poets
        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

• Why would you need a propane line to your house? Ever?

Natural gas >>>> Propane

I don't use propane for a single thing.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Why would you need a propane line to your house? Ever?
            Maybe it's because I live in the middle of nowhere and only get electricity from town. I have to use propane.
            I have more issues than Marvel Comics and more problems than a math text book.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hot Mustard View Post
              In North Vancouver it is quite common for houses (including brand new builds) to have a separate septic system for unauthorized basement suites, which I find silly and maddening - everyone knows the suites are there, why bother with pretending and running an additional system?
              What is an unauthorized basement suite? Are you not allowed to have basements in Vancouver?
              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Why would you need a propane line to your house? Ever?

Natural gas >>>> Propane

I don't use propane for a single thing.
                What do you use for your grill, charcoal?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                  What do you use for your grill, charcoal?
                  It's hooked up directly to a natural gas line.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                    What is an unauthorized basement suite? Are you not allowed to have basements in Vancouver?
                    Basement suites are illegal in many cities. Calgary just very recently legalized them, and only in certain areas. They need to be zoned.

Comment

It's hooked up directly to a natural gas line.
                      Ah. We just hook it up to a 20 lb propane tank and get the tank refilled every now and then.

Comment

It's aluminum. It's zero maintenance and lasts forever. I actually hate the look of wood railings, especially after a couple years when they become weathered. Worst of all, I hate painting.

There will be zero exposed wood on the house when it's complete.

BTW, wood railings are cheaper...and IMO they look cheaper.
                        You're definitely the wrong kind of gay. I'm going to have sex with my wife in 15 minutes, but even I can see that aluminum railings look cheap if the house is not from the Googie times. Weathered hardwood railings, especially with a proper finish like varnish, not paint, look 10 times better. You can't put varnished wood railings on your house because it's covered in vinyl siding, of course, but painted wood is still better than aluminum.
                        Graffiti in a public toilet
                        Do not require skill or wit
                        Among the **** we all are poets
                        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

• I agree, wood looks better. But to each his own. If Asher likes it better, it's his house, and it looks like a pretty nice house to me.

Comment

• Definitely not.

Russian aesthetics.

The cheap houses all have wood railings in the slummy neighbourhoods. That's not how I roll.

Comment

• I'd also have to downgrade to a wood deck if I were to get the wood railings.

I don't care what kind of varnish you claim to use -- you're re-doing it in 5 years and replacing that deck entirely within 15.

Comment

• Charcoal
                                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                                X