Building a home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
    I don't question that - I 'm just curious how wilderness can be valued so high.
    Wilderness?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Compared to the lowest kind of civilisation, it certainly is wilderness
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• You're paying for proximity.

If you wanted to buy 5 acres of land near Alert, Nunavut, you could probably do so quite cheaply...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
          I happen to be building in "Sage Hill" which, as you may guess, is at the top of some hills.
          Is it called sage hill because of the fauna, or are you just really wise?

Comment

• I think this thread needs a Philly to Copenhagen comparison to be complete. Where is Al?

To get things started:

Having a yard is illegal in Philly unless it is covered in used hypodermic needles and glass shards. How does that compare to Copenhagen zoning laws?

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
              You're paying for proximity.

If you wanted to buy 5 acres of land near Alert, Nunavut, you could probably do so quite cheaply...
              You don't even have to get that extreme. There are miles and miles of largely empty lands say 150 Km south of Calgary and even in Nanton the houses and land are cheaper-- Heck for 1.2 million you can get 320 acres plus and 1100 sq foot bungalow and a bunch of outbuildings for a working farm

It also seems you can get 8-10 acres with a small house for 300-400K. THings get cheaper in the flat farm areas and then the prices start to go up again in the mountains near ski hills and lakes
              Last edited by Flubber; August 21, 2011, 01:00.
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• I don't know, moving out into suburbia to live in a densely packed neighbourhood sounds like a self-defeating goal to me. You could urbanize this area and it would only get better.
                Graffiti in a public toilet
                Do not require skill or wit
                Among the **** we all are poets
                Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

• The paradox of suburbia. It's even worse in wealthier places because land prices get bid up making the lots even smaller.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Asher.. this looks great!

The media/Home theater might be enough for me to want to visit!
                    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                      I really don't understand you yanks/canucks. You have lots of land so space must be dirt chap, but still you build housings so close. Why ?
                      If you build too far away from the city you'll have a hellishly long commute to work. There aren't very many high paying jobs or places to spend your money in the wilderness for some reason.

Comment

• Originally posted by onodera View Post
                        I don't know, moving out into suburbia to live in a densely packed neighbourhood sounds like a self-defeating goal to me. You could urbanize this area and it would only get better.
                        There are high-density multi-family housing units in these neighbourhoods. And I very much disagree that it would get better.

I've done the urban/condo thing -- it's not for me. I don't want to share walls with anyone or hear thumping from above, and I want quiet.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donegeal View Post
                          Asher.. this looks great!

The media/Home theater might be enough for me to want to visit!
                          Thanks!

I'm really excited about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                            If you build too far away from the city you'll have a hellishly long commute to work. There aren't very many high paying jobs or places to spend your money in the wilderness for some reason.
                            Here, commuting 40-50 km isn't unusual, both by public transport and car, and I wouldn't expect yanks/canucks to call that hellish.
                            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• If it takes you an hour to go 20km, I can't imagine how a 40-50km commute isn't hellish.

Comment

• Better roads - 20 km/h sounds rediculous

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                                X