Building a home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
    Well, that of course makes sense, but that prices is pretty high. Even here in Copenhagen you can get way more land for 200 k$ than 400 sqm. - at least the double.
    It doesn't help that Calgary is pretty wealthy. Lots of oil money.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Calgary are actually smaller than copenhagen

The oil may though make a difference.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Calgary are actually smaller than copenhagen

The oil may though make a difference.
        Copenhagen is 455.61 km^2. Calgary is 726.50 km^2.

They're also about to annex a lot more land in the north by where I'm building, so that'll go up significantly pretty soon...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Uhmn, Metro : 3,030 km2
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Not the same thing.

Calgary's metro is 5,107.43 km^2

Comment

• Sure, but pop is way lower

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• That's the point. That's why the land costs more. People in Copenhagen tend not to buy land to build houses...people in Calgary do. Different lifestyle.

Comment

• Pop Copenhagen metro beats Calgary. Actually, your house would be illegal here - max building percent is something like 40.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Pop Copenhagen metro beats Calgary. Actually, your house would be illegal here - max building percent is something like 40.
                    Still not sure you get why population density and culture play a factor. In any case, the house covers almost 35% of the lot, so it would certainly be legal...

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                      Still not sure you get why population density and culture play a factor. In any case, the house covers almost 35% of the lot, so it would certainly be legal...
                      My fault - it's actually 20 though there are special cases wich I found at first. Your pics showed something that never would have been allowed here.

The reason I mentioned pop density is that such usually have an influence on prices. Geograpy too - mostly flat agri here but it looks like your area is a bit rocky wich could influence available areas.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Calgary is mostly flat, but there are hilly areas. I happen to be building in "Sage Hill" which, as you may guess, is at the top of some hills.

Basically virtually everyone lives in the suburbs in Calgary. Very few people live downtown. Very few people want to live downtown (relatively).

Copenhagen has a very different culture, which of course impacts its urban sprawl and its land pricing.

Comment

• A question - what is the distance to center of Calgary ? I'm curious and have no intention of starting a "my dick is bigger" discussion

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• It's 10km from where I work, about 20km to the city center.

Neither I nor my SO work downtown or have a desire to travel there either, though.

Comment

• Sprawl is a large problem for many Canadian cities. There is so much land that a lot gets developed wastefully.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• I don't question that - I 'm just curious how wilderness can be valued so high.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                                X