Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
    Trail?
    yup--- They seem to be the largest appliance outfit in the city-- even if you happen to buy elsewhere, they are always a place you check
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeH View Post
      WTF?! Control is so much better.

Gas hob, electric oven FTW
      Screw both, go induction! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_cooker
      Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

• I debated the induction cooktop heavily. It would just feel weird cooking with one. Not to mention difficulties with woks.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Are the houses made of concrete, brick or wood?

Comment

• It depends on where you live and how much money you're willing to spend.
            In the south us, most building code requires cinder blocks or concrete due to insects.
            In the midwest, most houses will have a front made of brick or a brick facade and the rest of the house will be simple wood covered with aluminum or some other type of siding.
            If you have big bucks, brick all around.
            In the southwest desert, stucco is the exterior material of choice.

More and more houses are now using metal studs instead of pine.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Northeast tends to be a mix. Oddly, the pricier homes (up to a point) are wood, and the poorer and urban homes are brick.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• My house has pine framing with vinyl siding. It's by far the most popular configuration out here, because lumber is cheap and plentiful and masonry not so much.

Some houses have stucco exteriors here, but it's an inexplicable $30,000 upgrade.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
                  My house has pine framing with vinyl siding. It's by far the most popular configuration out here, because lumber is cheap and plentiful and masonry not so much.

Some houses have stucco exteriors here, but it's an inexplicable $30,000 upgrade.
                  My house has something like 80% stucco exterior ( a bit more than half the front is a faux stone look) and ashphalt shingles

I never had an idea of the cost of the stucco as it was in the base price of our house. Stucco was a required "architectural control" in our neighborhood

It also has wood studs and wood construction except in the basement where the contractor chose metal studs for the walls it constructed. Given my time back I would prefer wood studs ( they are far easier to attach things like shelving)
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Exciting thread

I love construction/contracting

Sounds like fun times Asher

Post more pics throughout the process if you can
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• dude, what did you have behind the camera? something suspicious is going on with those shadows!
                      Attached Files
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• MikeH has pointed out that it looks like some kind of demon bird.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber View Post
                          My house has something like 80% stucco exterior ( a bit more than half the front is a faux stone look) and ashphalt shingles

I never had an idea of the cost of the stucco as it was in the base price of our house. Stucco was a required "architectural control" in our neighborhood
                          Yep. Sage Hill doesn't require it, Sage Meadows in Sage Hill requires it. The same house is about ~80,000 more in Sage Meadows because of the stricter "architectural controls" (like mandatory stucco). What's even more bizarre is Sage Meadows is in a valley, Sage Hill is (obviously) on a hill. I'd think a hill is preferable for the views and water run-off.

Comment

• Just be happy that your development doesn't require tile type roofs. That could add 30-50k to the price of construction.
                            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava View Post
                              Exciting thread

I love construction/contracting

Sounds like fun times Asher

Post more pics throughout the process if you can
                              I will try to post weekly photos, as I visit weekly.

I didn't post last week because it was mostly the same. They just added the footings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	281648_687542827707_120600515_36828692_2866797_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	9090679
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	185411_687542842677_120600515_36828693_3730558_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	9090680

Look at that beautiful Alberta sky.

Comment

• concrete

canada
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X