Building a home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
    $1300! Did you tell em you didnt need the car that came with it!
    It's pricey, but it's solid and is up to any cooking task I throw at it. The burners are all different sizes depending on their BTU output; the 5,000 BTU low simmer burner simmers great, and the 17,000 BTU power boiler lives up to its name.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• ... and it saves money compared to electric. I was stunned a few years ago when a friend was installing a $5000 model in his new house. I asked if it was made of gold.
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
        Now you all have me torn on the stove.

I'm now leaning towards induction...
        Induction are great, if you have ants.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by gribbler View Post
          It says $800 in rebates... why don't they just charge $500?
          It looks like the $1300 might be the price WITH rebates, though. At any rate, that's not atypical in terms of cost for a nice range.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• update.

I went dual-fuel on the stove. Gas range, electric convection oven. It's very pretty.

I've chosen recessed lighting/pot lights for the kitchen instead of the track lights. I've also selected all of my appliances, exterior stone, exterior colours (trim, siding), lighting, and cabinets.

We're still deciding between two cabinet styles and two cabinet colours. The SO wants something "light" for the cabinets, which alters our options a bit.

Styles (not taking into account color) are below. We're leaning towards the first/top option. Keep in mind the sample doors are small -- the trim size is the same (3") no matter the cabinet size, but we've got 41" cabinets so there will be much larger space open in the middle.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinet style.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	9090603

Name:	cabinet style aux.jpg
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	9090605

Colours. We're leaning towards the one on the left ("Cognac on Maple").

Name:	cabinet colors.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	9090604

Handles. We're getting these.

Name:	cabinet handles.jpg
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	9090606

Any comments by the design-y people would be appreciated. Can still change these.

Next week we bring our wood sample to the granite place to select the granite/quartz counters, then take the cabinet & granite samples to the hardwood place to pick the hardwood, then take the cabinet & granite & hardwood samples to the interior design place to pick tile, backsplash, blinds, carpet, etc.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• We're not building a house but we did recently buy new hard wood floors which are supposed to be installed over a two day period this weekend. I wanted to go with some light colored hard wood but she has decided on Walnut wood with a dark cherry stain finish and it has been explained to me that while my clueless ideas in home decor are endearing my input should be confined to helping her pick between stuff she's already decided she likes and to swipe the credit card at the appropriate times. I find this mildly annoying but concede she's much better at decorating than I will ever be. Besides, for all the women's lib talk women themselves still consider the home to be their domain.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• The ones on top look better, and generally a lighter kitchen is better (IMO).
                Indifference is Bliss

Comment

• That are some fugly handles. Do they have bronze/brass ones?
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Any comments
                    So, is this Poly House 2?

Definitely an improvement on the first one - I'd almost be tempted to donate! Especially if you have any Calgary brides that want to be my penfriend...?
                    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                      We're not building a house but we did recently buy new hard wood floors which are supposed to be installed over a two day period this weekend. I wanted to go with some light colored hard wood but she has decided on Walnut wood with a dark cherry stain finish and it has been explained to me that while my clueless ideas in home decor are endearing my input should be confined to helping her pick between stuff she's already decided she likes and to swipe the credit card at the appropriate times. I find this mildly annoying but concede she's much better at decorating than I will ever be. Besides, for all the women's lib talk women themselves still consider the home to be their domain.
                      Been there, done that. I do have it slightly better. I am allowed a veto if I really hate what she picks out.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by onodera View Post
                        That are some fugly handles. Do they have bronze/brass ones?
                        Ewww. That's so 80s.
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                          So, is this Poly House 2?

Definitely an improvement on the first one - I'd almost be tempted to donate! Especially if you have any Calgary brides that want to be my penfriend...?
                          I do know a couple single ladies...but they're all uppity professionals. Probably not the kind of woman you are looking for.

Comment

Ewww. That's so 80s.
                            Copper based alloys are better for the kitchen, and grey handles do not match hardwood furniture.
                            Graffiti in a public toilet
                            Do not require skill or wit
                            Among the **** we all are poets
                            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

• The silver/gray handles are meant to match all the stainless steel fronts on the appliances.
                              We switched out our old copper handles to a silver gray after upgrading our appliances.
                              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                                The silver/gray handles are meant to match all the stainless steel fronts on the appliances.
                                Yep. And the pendant lights, and the tap & sink.

Comment

Working...
                                X