Building a home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas stoves

I hate electric stoves. The new ones are a lot better but I would still prefer gas.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

• Now you all have me torn on the stove.

I'm now leaning towards induction...
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Every time I've seen somebody with an induction stove they're scared to death of damaging the surface. For our recent remodel we got a gas stove...I hadn't used them much before so it made me nervous at first, but it was definitely the way to go.
        "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

• Apparently modern gas stoves are easier to clean than the ones I've last used, with the sealed burners. Hmmmm.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• I have a ceramic-top electric stove, and while at first I was disappointed not to have gas, I have to say it works wonderfully. It heats up quite fast, and cleaning it is easier than any other type of stove.

It also looks pretty sexy.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
              They tend not to heat as evenly as modern electric stoves. Their main advantage is they heat faster.

I've also had friends have to deal with electric ignitions that die after a couple years, etc.
              They heat just fine and they're cheaper. Also, if you get a legit stove top, then you're not going to have this ignition problem.
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• I have induction. Easiest I ever had and almost same reaction speed as a gas stove.
                "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

• Gas

Induction's main selling point is safety. You can't burn yourself on a hot surface if the surface never gets hot.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

• I've heard induction is terrible for woks and other non-large surface area, flat cook bottoms.

Comment

• Yep, and nothing can be done about it, that's just how the physics work out.

Comment

• I'm leaning towards gas now, if only because natural gas is dirt cheap in Alberta.

I've already got two natural gas fireplaces, a natural gas furnace, and a natural gas barbeque hookup...what's one more?

Comment

• Then I would say just do it. There are no downsides nowadays.

What about your water heater?

Comment

• It's a natural gas, direct-vent. Forgot about that, too.

This builder is a higher-end one and has them standard. Most builders use ****ty electric waterheaters, which are cheaper upfront but way more expensive in operating costs.

Comment

I'm leaning towards gas now, if only because natural gas is dirt cheap in Alberta.

I've already got two natural gas fireplaces, a natural gas furnace, and a natural gas barbeque hookup...what's one more?
                              IIRC Natural gas has almost always been cheaper for cooking and especially for stove top cooking is way more energy efficient. The thing that's also nice is that you can use gas if the power goes out.
                              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I've heard induction is terrible for woks and other non-large surface area, flat cook bottoms.
                                This is true. Although i think this doesn't apply to a lot of people and the way they cook stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X