No announcement yet.

Building a home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
      It looks like when it's down it will funnel water to the neighbors foundation.

Another sure fire way to get it destroyed...
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher View Post
        We're not going to even do it until Summer 2013, so haven't given too much thought yet. The backyard will have a large patio with seating and a (natural gas) firepit, though. That's as far as we've thought.

We're waiting for a full year of the freeze/thaw cycle for the ground to settle before spending any money on it.
        It kind of looks like there is a lot of gravel on the side of the house near the main entrance. Is that right? If that's so you might want to make a wire screen and sift the gravel out so you don't end up with lots of gravel and stones in your garden. Also if you're going to wait one whole freeze and thaw cycle you might want to rotor till it now and put in some soil amendments so that way the soil is prepared in advance but still has a year to settle.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• They haven't even graded the yard yet or given us our topsoil.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Asher I'm probing all the gay members to see if either they are available or have advice for Al.B.? for his new dating thread? ideas?
            "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

• Don't threadjack Thorn.
              Originally posted by Thorn
              I need qualified help!

Comment

They haven't even graded the yard yet or given us our topsoil.
                Wouldn't it be easier to remove the gravel now then wait until it gets buried under a couple of inches of top soil?

Comment

• There's no gravel, it's just dirt with stones in it. I can't be bothered, it'll be under 8 inches of topsoil.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Just 8 inches? Isn't there enough chernozem in Alberta?
                    Graffiti in a public toilet
                    Do not require skill or wit
                    Among the **** we all are poets
                    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

• No clue.

Comment

• Asher

Nice house!!

Actually several things are the same as mine (built 10 years ago with a different builder-- but maybe some of the subcontractors are the same or the choices were timeless!)

Things I noticed that were identical

Kitchen Granite
                        kitchen cabinets even down to the glass fronted cabinet-- but handles were different
                        Bathroom cabinets including medicine chests
                        shower enclosure (I think they are pretty standard
                        think we have the same brand washer-dryer set
                        Carpet colors were close but not matching

Overall great looking house-- Jealouse of the TVs and tech infrastructure

Oh and LMAO st the blinds thing-- In the picture you can even see the control strings but if the idea of you parading naked suited someones's homoerotic fantasies, so be it
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• I don't know if you remember the subs, but we went to Granite Gallery for the granite (Silver Pearl is the specific stone) and Bjornson Designs for the cabinets ("Shaker style"). The shower enclosure came from Home Solutions.

I'm very pleased to hear it's similar to what you've done -- we must've been thinking straight.

The builder is actually going to come take some photos of our kitchen next week to be included on their website as part of a customer testimonial.

Comment

• Originally posted by onodera View Post
                            Just 8 inches? Isn't there enough chernozem in Alberta?
                            There's lots but not to such a depth that you have any significant topsoil left. When they strip and level an area they seem to take the topsoil away and I always figured they were using it elsewhere. The developer usually just commits to a fixed amount of soil back per lot . When I did my lawn I purchased an additional 12 cubic meteres of topsoil to help fill areas where it had settled unevenly .
                            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I'm very pleased to hear it's similar to what you've done -- we must've been thinking straight.

Thats double-edged -- were we thinking "gay" (I actually chose almost NONE of it and merely exercised a veto power--- once we were partway into the process-- At the start my feedback was sought constantly but when I started giving it emphatically I achieved the desired result of avoiding most of the choosing )-- None of those suppliers ring a bell but our cabinets were a shaker style IIRC-- The granite name was different too but in the pics it looks like the very same stuff

We matched ours with a very dark hardwood floor which looks awesome when clean but which shows up every crumb my two little anklebiters drop.

Great that your builder is proud of their job and also great that you are so happy that you are willing to give a customer testomonial

Comment

• Originally posted by onodera View Post
                                Just 8 inches? Isn't there enough chernozem in Alberta?
                                Most top soil sold in North America tends to be mulch mixed with some regular clay or loam soil. In addition you'll find some wood chips or peat moss added in to help the soil retain water. The end result is some pretty dark soil.

Comment

Working...
                                X