Question to tornado alley inhabitants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question to tornado alley inhabitants

News says that you currently have "lots of fun", and condolences to those that have lost someone.

I know that it involves warm humid air, heavy rain, hailstorms etc. but how often are there floodings involved in the events ?

I have a discussion on a danish site where there are those that belive it's like rainfall from a hurricane.
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Quite often. There are floods all over the Midwest currently, some minor, some not so much.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

At least climate change isn't involved...
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Depends on the region. I live in a fairly flat area and a flood would have to exceed the one-hundred-year flood zone to affect local residences. The thunderstorms that produce tornados are usually very fast moving so rain doesn't last too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer View Post
          Quite often. There are floods all over the Midwest currently, some minor, some not so much.
          Disrupting transportation ? Some are worried that the three nuke plants that have closed down can't get fuel to their emergency generators. (I'm not).
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
            At least climate change isn't involved...

You've always had the ability to chime in with obvious and stupid comments - glad to see that you haven't lost this

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
              News says that you currently have "lots of fun", and condolences to those that have lost someone.

I know that it involves warm humid air, heavy rain, hailstorms etc. but how often are there floodings involved in the events ?

I have a discussion on a danish site where there are those that belive it's like rainfall from a hurricane.
              No, it's nothing like a hurricane. Typically there's rain, but not necessarily. There may be hail associated with the storm. The sky may have a green tint.
              The worst attribute of a tornado is when they aren't traveling fast across the ground. I realize as I say this that fast movement may shorten preparation time to take shelter, but a tornado that sits in one spot for any length of time just grinds down on the area it occupies.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

While we don't have many tornadoes in Manitoba, the most populous part of the province is on the flood plain adjacent to the Red River of the north. This is a picture of a farm normally about a 1/2 mile from the river (2009).
                Currently, a lot of the agricultural land is under water and will be for several weeks.
                There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat View Post
                  You've always had the ability to chime in with obvious and stupid comments - glad to see that you haven't lost this
                  Hey, I'm saying it isn't involved - are you trying to say it is...?
                  Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                    Hey, I'm saying it isn't involved - are you trying to say it is...?
                    Mobby, I have no problem of seeing you as a high ranking obidient servant in the Ministry of Truth.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky View Post

While we don't have many tornadoes in Manitoba, the most populous part of the province is on the flood plain adjacent to the Red River of the north. This is a picture of a farm normally about a 1/2 mile from the river (2009).
                      Currently, a lot of the agricultural land is under water and will be for several weeks.
                      That looks like some well prepared site that others could learn a lot by

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                        No, it's nothing like a hurricane. Typically there's rain, but not necessarily. There may be hail associated with the storm. The sky may have a green tint.
                        The worst attribute of a tornado is when they aren't traveling fast across the ground. I realize as I say this that fast movement may shorten preparation time to take shelter, but a tornado that sits in one spot for any length of time just grinds down on the area it occupies.
                        Thanks Sloww

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Tornados originate from severe thunderstorms so there is rain. The rain can be as heavy as from a hurricane but it's often only 15 to 30 min in duration compared to hours or days from a hurricane. There can be flooding though especially if there is a series of severe thunderstorms (which is common here).

PS the south is not in tornado alley despite that I believe we get more tornados over a year than that area
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Spencer, I trust you didn't get hit too hard. I'm in Cahaba Heights, and parts of it look like downtown Beirut, though still not as bad as Pratt City or Tuscaloosa. We've just gotten power back in the last 15 minutes or so. A pine tree fell on our house during the smaller, morning tornado that hit CH, driving an oak limb through our dining room ceiling and snapping off the weatherhead, which meant we got power back about three days later than the rest of our neighborhood. Nobody hurt at my house, thankfully.
                            Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Glad to hear you and yours are OK. I know CH was hit bad that morning. My neighbors son, who lives up that way, had a 3 pine trees hit his house including one that hit their bedroom and would've killed them all if he hadnt woken and got em out in the nick of time. Apparently the sirens were not loud or something? My eldest daughter was at BAMA so that was a little scary. Other than that, we came through virtually scott free except for a couple of short power outages of a few hours each (normally if our power goes out with a storm we're out for days cos we're a small neighborhood off Shades Crest Rd).
                              We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                              If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                              Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
                              X