Killer's quest: Allow organ donation after execution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killer's quest: Allow organ donation after execution

The people denying this offer need to never again speak on behalf of organ donation. They make a valid point, maybe; but in the end, take the donations.
    This is one of the few times that I applaud a killer's effort.

Ore. death row inmate Christian Longo seeks redemption, but state says no

By JoNel Aleccia
    Health writer msnbc.com updated 4/21/2011 9:33:07 AM ET

An Oregon death row inmate is mounting an aggressive behind-bars campaign to donate his organs after he’s executed, in part to repay society for the gruesome murders of his wife and three young children.

Christian Longo, 37, says he wants to do more to take responsibility for killing his family and dumping their bodies in coastal bays nearly a decade ago than simply accepting execution by lethal injection.

“Why go out and waste your organs when you have the potential to go out and save six to 12 lives?” reasons Longo, whose voice is measured and articulate on the phone from Oregon State Penitentiary cell DRU31 in Salem.

His request to drop his appeals in exchange for being allowed to donate organs has been flatly denied by state corrections officials, who refuse to negotiate with a killer. It’s been denounced in principle as “morally reprehensible” by the nation’s organ donation officials and medical ethicists.

“I don’t think we want to be the kind of society that takes organs from prisoners,” said Dr. Paul R. Helft, director of the Charles Warren Fairbanks Center for Medical Ethics and Indiana University. "To do so would be to use unfree prisoners as a means to an end."
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Won't lethal injection spoil the goods? I've always thought that the best way to execute people humanely was combining nitrous oxide with crushing the skull with a real heavy weight.
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

I guess the want to sidestep any issue with this being likened to the PRC approach.

I don't know why, I think I like the PRC approach.
      urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
        Won't lethal injection spoil the goods?
        My thoughts exactly.

“I don’t think we want to be the kind of society that takes organs from prisoners,” said Dr. Paul R. Helft, director of the Charles Warren Fairbanks Center for Medical Ethics and Indiana University.
        But taking their life is?
        "To do so would be to use unfree prisoners as a means to an end."
        If he was talking about other prisoners he has a point if donating would lead to lesser sentencing (for which I see no evidence in the article), but in this case it's clearly bull****.

I guess it could make for an interesting legal battle: Does the state have legal authority over a corpse? (other then burial (read public safety) laws? Can you sentence a corpse to not donate it's organs? It's a very peculiar case indeed.

(PS: Oh wait, it's in Salem, famous for it's believe in witchcraft. Are they afraid the recipient will inherit the killer traits )
        "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
        "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

It's a well understood phenomenon that implanting death row felon's vital organs into other people will lead to proliferation of the evil that resides in their empty souls.

Comment

Originally posted by germanos View Post
            (PS: Oh wait, it's in Salem, famous for it's believe in witchcraft. Are they afraid the recipient will inherit the killer traits )
            Wrong Salem.

ACK!
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski View Post
              Wrong Salem.

ACK!
              Indeed a very wrong Salem.
              "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

think of all the innocent sent to death row just for organs

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                  Won't lethal injection spoil the goods?
                  Yes, which is likely his angle. He'll claim he wants to donate his organs but, gee wiz, lethal injection would ruin that so they'll just have to find a different way to kill him. Oh, you mean lethal injection is the only legal way to carry out an execution in Oregon? Well, I guess you can't execute me then...
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

There are two types of lethal injection - the classic 3-drug version, which destroys the organs, and the more recent 1-drug version, which leaves the organs intact.
                    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

If it "spoiled the goods", don't you think the people doing the declining would just say so and that would be the end of it?
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                        If it "spoiled the goods", don't you think the people doing the declining would just say so and that would be the end of it?
                        Some people prefer to be principled rather than practical. "state corrections officials, who refuse to negotiate with a killer. " may well fall in the latter category.

Comment

So it's a matter of misguided ethics. I agree.

Comment

Allowing any secondary societal benefit to execution is a slippery slope that I think is wrong.
                            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I agree with you when it comes to mandatory organ donation for executed prisoners (that's just asking for trouble), but I don't see a problem with voluntary organ donation for executed prisoners
                              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
                              X